-
Moving an existing HD install to another system
Hi,
I'm trying to migrate an existing HD installation (Multi-user with hardware detection from Knoppix 4.0.2 CD) to a new system with quite different hardware. I need to alter/remove whatever config files that were created during the installation to the original hardware, so that the new system can have a proper hardware configuration.
I've tried to remove the "/XF86Config-4, and "/etc/X11/XF86Config-4" but it gets re-created with the old hardware configuration each time I reboot. I've also tried removing the entire folder "/etc/knoppix" but am still unable to track down the file that's holding this old hardware configuration. I did a find for the file "configs.tbz" with no luck.
Any Thoughts?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Don't Delete it. Copy it.
What you want to do is boot with live CD then copy the file XF86Config-4 that the live CD creates for itself when it boots up to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on your HD.
After you've copied the file to you HD install, reboot.
You may need to do some additional tweaking like for screen resolution later but this will get you started.
This is how I got my Kyro II card working on my HD install of Knoppix 3.7. And they said it couldn't be done!!!
sakiZ
-
"What you want to do is boot with live CD then copy the file XF86Config-4 that the live CD creates for itself when it boots up to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 on your HD."
That's perfect for video. Watch the boot messages to see what they are, but there are a couple of files in /etc where all the modules get recorded when the system goes through its autodetection. It writes the second one by copying the first. Delete them (or to be safe, rename them) and it will do a complete autodetect. The filenamess both start with "module" or "modules", but I'm not at a Knoppix install I can reboot, so not sure exactly.
Similar Threads
-
By rtrdom in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-28-2008, 02:58 AM
-
By aipforum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
-
By mors in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-05-2005, 10:33 PM
-
By dantheman10110 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 07:47 PM
-
By bactram in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00