-
Awesome
This ROCKS!
Have read a few msgs here, and in general, where "interesting" problems surface, I suspect hdw prob. Hard to correct w/o diff. hdw.
However, even as a programmer/consultant (my milk language is asm), I haven't seen precicely how to get online.
I know the source is available, but I'd rather not have to chase through it to find stuff.
So... I installed (booted-the boot iso... and it seriously ROCKS) and can't see obvious manner of setting up my dsl to use such. I bailed out and am now on win-xp to post this.
Help? Or direct me to proper area for such, please. [RTFM? ok, where?!]
-Mouse
-
dead 2tw
ok, i feel dumb... i read theintro, and thought knoppix wished to spread linux derived systems. oopers!
i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.
This bodes ill for any clients i may send forth in said direction.
<shrug> i tried. guess will try another 'flavor' linux.
thanx,
Mouse
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Awesome

Originally Posted by
LoneTrantorian
However, even as a programmer/consultant (my milk language is asm), I haven't seen precicely how to get online. ....of setting up my dsl to ...
We know that you have DSL but still don't know much about your equipment or service. So there is no one simple answer we can give you. I'll give the best advice that I can give under the circumstances: If your DSL modem includes an ethernet router (many do now) or if you also have a DSL router plugged into your modem, then you just boot Knoopix and you are on the network, no setup needed. Otherwise my best advice is to buy a very inexpensive DSL/Cable router (which you really really need anyway for safety if you use Windows) and then the above will hold true for you.

Originally Posted by
LoneTrantorian
Help? Or direct me to proper area for such, please. [RTFM? ok, where?!]
There is plenty of Linux documentation on the Internet, but here's a local place to start http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: dead 2tw

Originally Posted by
LoneTrantorian
i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.
This bodes ill ....
Wow, you waited all of 21 minutes after posting before complaining that you can't get any help. My advice is not to wait so long next time; five minutes or less should be enough before you start complaining. If you had not waited so long I would have seen your second post before answering the first one, and would have acted appropriately.
-
Re: Awesome
Harry, your advice worked perfectly! Nopers, I hadn't tried the obvious. Thank you sincerely.
As an aside, this is my first touch/contact w/linux. DOS I know. WIN I've had to know. And yes, I have biz refs (latest have been VBA DBs, as such is readily available on clients 'puters). I'm trying to switch all from MS. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to move several systems.
As mentioned, I'm a (humble) programmer. If I can contribute in some way, please let me know.
-Mouse
-
Re: dead 2tw
my appolgies, but waz eager to get things up and flying. i'll bail if asked.
-Mouse

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman

Originally Posted by
LoneTrantorian
i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.
This bodes ill ....
Wow, you waited all of 21 minutes after posting before complaining that you can't get any help. My advice is not to wait so long next time; five minutes or less should be enough before you start complaining. If you had not waited so long I would have seen your second post before answering the first one, and would have acted appropriately.
-
Wow
Harry,
Posting via knoppix (konqueror). Works 'funly', & looks great!
And the reply to my rather quickly posted request for assistance
was... well, actually faster than I can afford my local clients.
To put it mildly, I'm impressed. I plan to RTFM a bit before putting
foot in mouth again.
This waz easier than automated up-grade
from win vers.
Thank you,
-Mouse
-
Senior Member
registered user
I know your q was answered but here is a few pointers.
if you have a problem feel free to ask, reading the wiki ia a good place to start for most things, but sometimes that requires one to know what to look for.
Feel free to ask almost anything Linux related, be prepared to get links to resources if the question requires more than just a little giudance though, but be asured we will try our best to help, in general if you give more information on exact problem/s and symptoms and answer our questions the answers you recieve will be more detailed and helpful.
another thing is that this support is volontary, that is we do not get paid, we do not keep any special hours... we do this just to help others enjoy linux.
Similar Threads
-
By eadz in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM
-
By GbaDoctor in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
-
By thebentfender in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-06-2004, 05:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive
$200.00

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server Intel Xeon E5630 4GB DDR3 No HDD
$279.99

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99

DEFECTIVE IBM SYSTEM X3530 M4 7160AC1 Server 2INTEL XEON E52430L 0 80GB G3D
$142.50