Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Awesome

  1. #1

    Awesome

    This ROCKS!

    Have read a few msgs here, and in general, where "interesting" problems surface, I suspect hdw prob. Hard to correct w/o diff. hdw.

    However, even as a programmer/consultant (my milk language is asm), I haven't seen precicely how to get online.

    I know the source is available, but I'd rather not have to chase through it to find stuff.

    So... I installed (booted-the boot iso... and it seriously ROCKS) and can't see obvious manner of setting up my dsl to use such. I bailed out and am now on win-xp to post this.

    Help? Or direct me to proper area for such, please. [RTFM? ok, where?!]

    -Mouse

  2. #2

    dead 2tw

    ok, i feel dumb... i read theintro, and thought knoppix wished to spread linux derived systems. oopers!

    i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.

    This bodes ill for any clients i may send forth in said direction.

    <shrug> i tried. guess will try another 'flavor' linux.

    thanx,
    Mouse

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Awesome

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTrantorian
    However, even as a programmer/consultant (my milk language is asm), I haven't seen precicely how to get online. ....of setting up my dsl to ...
    We know that you have DSL but still don't know much about your equipment or service. So there is no one simple answer we can give you. I'll give the best advice that I can give under the circumstances: If your DSL modem includes an ethernet router (many do now) or if you also have a DSL router plugged into your modem, then you just boot Knoopix and you are on the network, no setup needed. Otherwise my best advice is to buy a very inexpensive DSL/Cable router (which you really really need anyway for safety if you use Windows) and then the above will hold true for you.

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTrantorian
    Help? Or direct me to proper area for such, please. [RTFM? ok, where?!]
    There is plenty of Linux documentation on the Internet, but here's a local place to start http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: dead 2tw

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTrantorian
    i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.

    This bodes ill ....
    Wow, you waited all of 21 minutes after posting before complaining that you can't get any help. My advice is not to wait so long next time; five minutes or less should be enough before you start complaining. If you had not waited so long I would have seen your second post before answering the first one, and would have acted appropriately.

  5. #5

    Re: Awesome

    Harry, your advice worked perfectly! Nopers, I hadn't tried the obvious. Thank you sincerely.

    As an aside, this is my first touch/contact w/linux. DOS I know. WIN I've had to know. And yes, I have biz refs (latest have been VBA DBs, as such is readily available on clients 'puters). I'm trying to switch all from MS. Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm trying to move several systems.

    As mentioned, I'm a (humble) programmer. If I can contribute in some way, please let me know.

    -Mouse

  6. #6

    Re: dead 2tw

    my appolgies, but waz eager to get things up and flying. i'll bail if asked.

    -Mouse

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneTrantorian
    i'm a 'puter freak, and apparently can't get any assist.

    This bodes ill ....
    Wow, you waited all of 21 minutes after posting before complaining that you can't get any help. My advice is not to wait so long next time; five minutes or less should be enough before you start complaining. If you had not waited so long I would have seen your second post before answering the first one, and would have acted appropriately.

  7. #7

    Wow

    Harry,

    Posting via knoppix (konqueror). Works 'funly', & looks great!

    And the reply to my rather quickly posted request for assistance
    was... well, actually faster than I can afford my local clients.

    To put it mildly, I'm impressed. I plan to RTFM a bit before putting
    foot in mouth again. This waz easier than automated up-grade
    from win vers.

    Thank you,
    -Mouse

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    I know your q was answered but here is a few pointers.
    if you have a problem feel free to ask, reading the wiki ia a good place to start for most things, but sometimes that requires one to know what to look for.
    Feel free to ask almost anything Linux related, be prepared to get links to resources if the question requires more than just a little giudance though, but be asured we will try our best to help, in general if you give more information on exact problem/s and symptoms and answer our questions the answers you recieve will be more detailed and helpful.

    another thing is that this support is volontary, that is we do not get paid, we do not keep any special hours... we do this just to help others enjoy linux.

Similar Threads

  1. Beryl - Awesome
    By eadz in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2007, 06:29 AM
  2. knoppix ? Awesome, but can u solve me some doubts? [Noob]
    By GbaDoctor in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2005, 07:52 AM
  3. Sweet! This is awesome
    By thebentfender in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-06-2004, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205 picture

Windows Server 2025 Standard✔ 24-CORE✔ 10 CALs✔ 50 RDS✔ Remote Desktop EP2-25205

$317.56



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI Barebone CTO GPU Server 2x Heatsinks 2x 1600W PSU picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI Barebone CTO GPU Server 2x Heatsinks 2x 1600W PSU

$319.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00