-
Floppy drive diagnostic tool
Anyone know of a diagnostic tool I can use to check my floppy disk drive? It's knackered in linux and windows, but is listed in the bios. When trying to access a floppy, the light comes on for a few seconds and then an error msg appears.
I'm running a dual-boot knoppix 3.8 and win98 system.
Error msgs in Linux are:
mount: /dev/fd0: can't read superblock
Error msgs in win98 are:
a:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready.
Looking at /dev/fstab gives me this:
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
Any ideas on how to resolve this are welcome (except the one with the badger, it died and smells bad).
G
-
Senior Member
registered user
hmm, have it worked before and now just died or is it a recent install. have you have the cabinet open ? if you have you should check the cable is fully seated.
if it just died, hmm have you cleaned it?
just make sure you HAVE conected tha cable, both right way and on right contact.
-
I don't think I've done anything out of the ordinary - it just seems to have stopped working (it is and old drive though - 6 years). I'll get the box open later on and check the cable, and I'll post back what I find.
Thx.
-
Senior Member
registered user
if you have NOT opened the box or thumped it much lately that seems NOT to be the problem.
-
You're right - I swapped cables and still got the same symptoms, leading me to believe that it's the device that's the problem. Oh well, I'll be buying a new pc soon so I'm not going to lose any sleep over this.
Thx for your help!
-
Senior Member
registered user
a new floppydrive is easily found for less than 10€ so...
Similar Threads
-
By Mumtaz in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-22-2004, 04:03 PM
-
By Bulldog in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-08-2004, 02:43 PM
-
By stickycricket88 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 08:01 PM
-
By talz13 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 7
Last Post: 02-17-2004, 01:18 AM
-
By Lothar Werzinger in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$49.99

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k
$300.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare
$1800.00

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE
$6299.00

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond
$140.00

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110
$129.99

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+
$209.99

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW
$59.99

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)
$149.00

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs
$14.99