-
Junior Member
registered user
Cannot connect to internet through Lan..
Hi....i am a newbie in linux. I wouldn't be one but every time i tried to install or run a live cd somethings just wouldn't work...well please don't let this be one of those times again.
I have the latest version of knoppix (4.02 I think).
As usual the problem is:
1. No internet
I have been trying for some time now to fix them but i had no luck so far. I ll provide some details here, hoping that u can help me become a linux user as well.....Please FEEL FREE to ask any additional information u might need...ANYTHING at all...
1. Internet
I am connected to the internet through my university's lan network. In windows all I had to do was go to another (already connected pc), register my mac address, change my computer's name and workgroup, plug the lan cable on the wall and that was all......
However in knoppix although in the initial loading (text) screen I see that it says "network card found eth0. Broadcast (backgrounding)" I can not connect to the internet. Using network card configuration from the GUI, if I say "yes" when it asks about dhcp (the very first question) it ALWAYS says failed after a while. I did try to set up manually based on settings taken from windows "ipconfig/all" and although i tried many things (not sure they were the right ones though) I still couldn't connect. Just to be sure the card was indeed found I tried to set up a dsl connection (I dont have one, I did it just to see what it would say) I got the message that my device was the eth0. Also I could get feedback from ifconfig list eth0 (not sure about the command now...).
My hardware:
I use a Clevo laptop which is quite new model. P2.0 mobile cpu, ati x700 intel wireless, card reader, bluetooth, pcmcia input, Irda. For the network adapter I know it's a Marvell Yukon someting and for the sound all i know is that is realtech (hd I believe....)
Note: Knoppix will boot only with "nopcmcia" parameter
Note 2: In windows ipconfig/all it says : dhcp activated: YES
.................................................. ........Automatic setup activated: YES
Similar Threads
-
By Joey6 in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-17-2007, 01:20 AM
-
By jacksonon in forum Networking
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-13-2006, 09:27 PM
-
By solbergg in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-10-2006, 03:11 AM
-
By simplyskate in forum Networking
Replies: 10
Last Post: 04-28-2005, 06:45 PM
-
By THiM in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-19-2003, 07:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$739.99

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US
$49.50

LSI MegaRAID 9211-8i 8-port PCI-E 6Gb SATA SAS Raid Controller
$35.00

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00