Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Using ISO-image as source on a network drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    Using ISO-image as source on a network drive

    I would like to boot Knoppix on CD and then after the boot is completed, I would like to mount the Knoppix ISO-image from a network drive as the cdrom-device. Is it possible to change the cdrom device so that it reads from the iso-image on the network drive after bootup?

    Anyone ever tried this or have a suggestion on how to do it?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Oregon, US
    Posts
    2

    I've done something similar.

    I have set up a Debian box to act as a knoppix server for a diskless workstation.
    My circumstance is slightly different than yours -- the diskless box boots from the
    network using PXE, not from the CD-ROM.

    On the server, I set up DHCP server, TFTP server, and NFS server (with associated
    stuff - portmapper and mountd). Basically, I launched the knoppix terminal server
    and looked at what services it used, then duplicated those.

    I got the kernel and miniroot for the client box by looking in /tftpboot on the
    knoppix terminal server.

    As for where it finds its root, the client read its kernel command line from the file
    server:/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default. Mine says this (among other things).
    <pre>
    nfsdir=192.168.0.18:/knoppix/current
    </pre>
    If you boot from CDROM, you should be able to specify nfsdir= at the boot prompt,
    though I haven't tried it.

    I'm glossing over a lot of detail here, feel free to ask questions...

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    What I've tried so far...

    I've tried mounting my network share, and then mounting the Knoppix ISO as /mnt/cdrom using the the network share. I can then remove the CD and access the files in the /mnt/cdrom/ and it seems to be working fine. But when I try to start a program, ie Mozilla, nothing happens, as if the system doesnt read from the /mnt/cdrom. Should i somehow reinitiallize the system so that it reads correctly from the new source?

    Any thoughts?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: What I've tried so far...

    Quote Originally Posted by andreas_w
    I've tried mounting my network share, and then mounting the Knoppix ISO as /mnt/cdrom using the the network share. I can then remove the CD and access the files in the /mnt/cdrom/ and it seems to be working fine. But when I try to start a program, ie Mozilla, nothing happens, as if the system doesnt read from the /mnt/cdrom. Should i somehow reinitiallize the system so that it reads correctly from the new source?
    I don't think that will work...

    You should use a PXE compatible networkcard, so you can boot directly off the network. Or use a special Linux bootfloppy that will boot the rest of the system om the network drive (do these floppies exist?).

Similar Threads

  1. Compression with drive image backup
    By firebyrd10 in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
  2. 1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...
    By ScottP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
  3. network boot knoppix iso image from a ms windows server
    By adrianmak in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 04:27 AM
  4. Takes a long time to image a drive with dd
    By brentokc in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
  5. Question about hard drive image
    By punkass in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$225.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$368.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY picture

Windows Server 2025 datacenter 64bit 24 Core 50 cal DVD + PRODUCT LICENSE KEY

$44.54



RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections picture

RDS CAL - Remote Desktop Services Windows Server 2019 50 User/Device Connections

$63.00