-
Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!
My system (XP SP2 home) locked up right in the middle of a system restore. Now I can't boot to windows or safe mode. I downloaded and ran the Knoppix live CD to try and access some really important files and burn them to a CD before reinstalling Windows. The problem is my system has two SATA drives set up in a RAID0 array. Will that effect data recovery as far as them being recognized because they are SATA drives, their in a RAID array, or both? They show up on the desktop as two separate drives, and I get an error something to the effect of "unreadable file system" if I click on the icon.
I searched the board and FAQ'S and got some help, but nothing specific to my situation. I'm new to Knoppix and Linux in general, so I'm not sure how to handle this. I was told this was the place to look
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
Billy
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!

Originally Posted by
comfortably numb
The problem is my system has two SATA drives set up in a RAID0 array.
Most raid arrays do not look as a true hardware disk to the system; rather the system sees the individual dirves and has to run a special software driver to give you the RAID functions. Unless there is a driver for your hardware for Linux that prefectly matches the layout of the RAID system under the Windows driver, then I know of no way that you could recover the data with Knoppix or any Linux system.
-
Re: Knoppix live CD and data recovery help needed!

Originally Posted by
Harry Kuhman
Unless there is a driver for your hardware for Linux that perfectly matches the layout of the RAID system under the Windows driver, then I know of no way that you could recover the data with Knoppix or any Linux system.
I don't know if it makes a difference, but there is no dedicated controller card for the RAID array, its handled by the motherboard (ABIT AV
. Is there still a driver needed? There is a VIA SATA Driver on the Abit site, I would assume they are necessary? If so, how would I install them?
Similar Threads
-
By JStevenson in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 12
Last Post: 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM
-
By Packrat1947 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM
-
By jf1976 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
-
By OpenIntro in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 27
Last Post: 04-05-2005, 10:59 PM
-
By cohyster in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-03-2005, 06:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID
$24.43

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004
$649.99

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00