Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Hard Drive install problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    Hard Drive install problems

    Hello, I'm hoping you can help me out...

    I have two hard drives, an 18gig for the main and a 6 gig for my music and photos. These were recently wiped completely of all partitions, so I figured I'd just do a straight install.

    I'm using Knoppix 3.9 because I figured I could get on the internet and ask for help if all goes wrong. No problems with the network card at least!

    typing knoppix-installer in the root console didn't work. The process just hung. I ctrl+C'd after a few minutes (a cup of tea) and tried to cfdisk them myself. cfdisk won't open the drives. I tried the partition editor, and it found my drives, and even seemed to format them for linux as per instruction. Still couldn't get the installer to work.

    So I'm back on the net through knoppix hoping someone can help me. I'm quite new to this so even though I've probably seen the answer in my searches I coul(hairy moment when the computer didn't start the cd first time - no OS or something)dn't make head nor tail of it.

    thanks

    Karl

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Have you become root before using cfdisk and/or knoppix-installer?
    Either do "su" and the terminal should indicate ( when running from the cd )
    that you are root i.e knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
    root@0[knoppix]#
    Or do "sudo" before the command you're trying to run.
    Hope that helps.

Similar Threads

  1. Sata hard drive problems
    By pmedia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
  2. hard drive install problems
    By Phishman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
  3. Hard Drive : Problems with different versions of knoppix
    By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:44 AM
  4. USB hard drive problems
    By jaciii in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
  5. Problems install on the hard drive
    By ak47 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari St Diskette Lot Spot Tested Mostly Games 177+ Disks Some Original Tetris picture

Atari St Diskette Lot Spot Tested Mostly Games 177+ Disks Some Original Tetris

$296.65



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats picture

GreaseWeazle v4 board USB floppy drive adapter Retro All Formats

$35.00



Atari St Diskette Lot Spot Tested Utilities Back Up Games 98 Disks Uncle Pervo picture

Atari St Diskette Lot Spot Tested Utilities Back Up Games 98 Disks Uncle Pervo

$127.42



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



1980’s compute magazine lot 34 atari vic 20 apple 64 ti ibm picture

1980’s compute magazine lot 34 atari vic 20 apple 64 ti ibm

$127.49



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



ATARI 800 XL 8-Bit Computer w/ Power Supply picture

ATARI 800 XL 8-Bit Computer w/ Power Supply

$169.00



Atari 800XL Computer Bundle Tested Fully Working picture

Atari 800XL Computer Bundle Tested Fully Working

$299.00