Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: trouble booting from disc

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8

    trouble booting from disc

    I downloaded knoppix torrent from this site the other day and i put the files on a dvd-rw. I'm very new at this and might seem like a basic question, but i cannot get knoppix to boot from the cd. I've restarted the computer with the cd in the drive, tried to open the files manually, but cannot get any results. I have a Compaq laptop running XP. Thanks

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8

    also..

    By the way, I downloaded version 4.0.2 and tried to boot it on two different laptops but it just boots up windows instead.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    read here, I think you have burned it wrong.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Download...o_be_burned.3F
    actually read the whole Downloading FAQ,it most likely has the solution to your problem, if not ask again and i will try to help.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8
    thanks alot...i looked quickly for the DLing faq, but couldn't find it
    thanks again.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8
    I ran the md5 checksum and it checked out alright. I downloaded the isorecorder plugin and burned the iso image to a cd-rw. When I rebooted my computer, the following appeared: isolinux Disk error 80, AX = 427C Drive 9F any suggestions?

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by shub902
    thanks alot...i looked quickly for the DLing faq, but couldn't find it
    thanks again.
    Considering that the previous poster gave you a link right to it, that seems a bit strange. But I always give the advice on how to find it the old fashion way, that way you should be able to find other faqs and documentation too without asking for more links. Look near the top of this page for a link to Documentation. Click it. This is the main page of the wiki. There are several links to the Downloading FAQ there, at least one near the top of the main page.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8
    I meant that I looked for it before I posted the first time. But I'm still having trouble because an error comes up when I try and boot it.

  8. #8
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by shub902
    But I'm still having trouble because an error comes up when I try and boot it.
    Are you getting to the boot prompt or do you get an error before you get that far? If you get the boot prompt you may be able to boot using one or more of the many cheat codes (see the wiki). If not it is likely that there is still a burning issue, although the ISO linux message indicates that you are certainly on the right track.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8
    I am not getting a boot prompt...do i just need to burn the iso file, or do i need to put all the text files on there as well?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Posts
    8
    It says boot failed, press a key to retry...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Creating persistant knoppix disc image with floppy disc
    By Arbatras in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:44 PM
  2. Trouble booting
    By britonk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 05:46 PM
  3. Trouble with booting
    By Blaurens in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 11:07 PM
  4. trouble booting
    By hpljs1200 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2004, 08:41 PM
  5. trouble on booting
    By joinf in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-02-2003, 10:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor picture

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor

$69.99



Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.00 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop CPU Processor SRG13

$79.99



Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished picture

Corsair RM750e 750W Fully Modular 80 Plus Gold ATX 3.1 PSU Certified Refurbished

$44.99



COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4 picture

COMBO: ASUS Prime H370M-PLUS MOTHERBOARD + i5-9400F CPU /w Heatsink + 16GB DDR4

$169.95



Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10 picture

Intel Core i9-9900 | SRG18 | 3.10 GHz | 8 Cores | LOT OF 10

$1505.77



AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Cores 8MB Up to 4.9GHz Desktop Processor 100-100000059WOF picture

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Cores 8MB Up to 4.9GHz Desktop Processor 100-100000059WOF

$350.00



Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339 picture

Intel Core i7-7700T 2.9GHz 8MB Socket LGA1151 Quad Core Processor SR339

$39.99



Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU picture

Intel 4th Gen Core i7-4790 SR1QF 3.60GHz (Turbo 4.00GHz) 8M 4-Core LGA-1150 CPU

$39.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY picture

Intel Core i5-11500 2.70 GHz LGA 1200 Desktop CPU Processor SRKNY

$94.99