-
Clock/Timezone error
I'm running the HD-install "boot like the CDROM" version of Knoppix 4.0.2 to provide a fileserver for the other machines on the network. Almost everything works as it should (just a few challenges left to sort.)
However, I have a timezone glitch. The machine knows that I'm in England (calls it London, but hey), and that I use GMT. Stuff it pulls off the other machines or off the Internet that's time-based displays right. BUT the clock on the PC is 5 hours ahead. If I reset it, it's fine but it will be 5 hours ahead again when I restart the machine. It seems convinced that it's somewhere 5 hours behind GMT. If I forget, I get some wacky timestamps on files.
Anyone have any ideas how to get to work in real GMT and not add 5 hours at boot?
-
I had this problem - set the timezone to 'local' and see what happens.
-
Yes - it's on "Local", but screws up the clock on every reboot.
I have a suspicion the "system" stores something in a read-only file somewhere, which forces it to treat the systemn clock as being in EST on bootup, regardless of other settings.
-
it likes to live on New York time
mine too
make sure I know when we find the prob
-
godammit !!! SUCCESS !!!!!! 
only taken me all day, and i don't usually last that long with the looking and researching and constant rebooting
to check things
while you forget what you were checking
and go and do something else
etc
etc
etc
http://www.infodrom.org/Debian/doc/m...-sysadmin.html
right, we need the timezone set AND the clock
doing the
tzselect
will show you what you need to put somewhere, namely
/home/username/.profile
thats a file in the home directory, not a directory
and it needs to be setup from the user dosshell too
i did one from the root dos shell, and the permissions on the file weren't right for the user to read it
but if you then set the clock and reboot it puts that danged New York time where you just were and then sets the TZ set zone relative to New York
again
well, looking at the link further up....
/etc/default/rcS
change the
UTC=no to yes
and reboot
and set the time
and reboot
and check it
and reboot
and feel very satisfied
and smug
and i'm currently doing my 6 other systems to check
but so far
SINGS
I feel good, nananananana
I knew that I would now
/SINGS
-
Similar Threads
-
By marghanita in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-01-2007, 11:58 PM
-
By jfdesign in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2005, 04:28 AM
-
By pavel7nl in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 06-11-2005, 09:57 PM
-
By el_supremo in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 10:19 PM
-
By Cuddles in forum General Support
Replies: 15
Last Post: 04-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11
$229.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$249.99