-
Hard Drive install problems
Hello, I'm hoping you can help me out...
I have two hard drives, an 18gig for the main and a 6 gig for my music and photos. These were recently wiped completely of all partitions, so I figured I'd just do a straight install.
I'm using Knoppix 3.9 because I figured I could get on the internet and ask for help if all goes wrong. No problems with the network card at least!
typing knoppix-installer in the root console didn't work. The process just hung. I ctrl+C'd after a few minutes (a cup of tea) and tried to cfdisk them myself. cfdisk won't open the drives. I tried the partition editor, and it found my drives, and even seemed to format them for linux as per instruction. Still couldn't get the installer to work.
So I'm back on the net through knoppix hoping someone can help me. I'm quite new to this so even though I've probably seen the answer in my searches I coul(hairy moment when the computer didn't start the cd first time - no OS or something)dn't make head nor tail of it.
thanks
Karl
-
Senior Member
registered user
Have you become root before using cfdisk and/or knoppix-installer?
Either do "su" and the terminal should indicate ( when running from the cd )
that you are root i.e knoppix@0[knoppix]$ su
root@0[knoppix]#
Or do "sudo" before the command you're trying to run.
Hope that helps.
Similar Threads
-
By pmedia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-09-2009, 10:21 AM
-
By Phishman in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
-
By goodguy23 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-07-2005, 08:44 AM
-
By jaciii in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
-
By ak47 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth
$49.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H
$19.99

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

LOT OF 10 NEW Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-Line PoE Speakerphone VoIP Desk Phone
$699.99

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

LINKSYS SPA3102 VOICE GATEWAY VOIP ADAPTER WITH BUILT-IN ROUTER W ADAPTER CABLE
$32.20