Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: flash or microdrive for software development platform?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    flash or microdrive for software development platform?

    Hello all,

    I'm a programer and I want to use Knoppix to run development tools. I remastered my own KNoppix 4.0.2 cd and it's not a too bad solution but every time I want a new version of a library I find myself wanting to make a new remaster, which is time consumming.

    Then it downed on me that I can just put Knoppix in a 1 or 2 GB flash drive and use it as a regular hard drive, read write all the time. The problem is, I have read that flash drives have a lifespan of only about a million write cicles. (they actually recommend to disable caching if you run Firefox from it, imagine)

    Then I thought about using a microdrive. As I understand it it's a regular harddrive, only tiny, connected to usb, but then I have no idea of microdives lifespans.

    What's your opinion? Will a microdrive give me a better support to run many (millions) of code/compile/run cicles, plus web/app servers for development? To give you a better picture what I will be running is emacs + lisp + apache + postgresql

    Thank you
    Jaime

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    as far as I know they are MUCH better that flash drives, but not as good as full sized ones...
    I would buy a smallish (2.5"= two and a half inch) external hdd, and use that as a permanent home.
    I found one like i mean, after a google search, it is is a 40G drive that is 135x75x15mm, small enough to carry anywhere without trouble, and it runs without any external power (just that from the USB port), page is in swedish, sorry.
    http://www.dustin.se/dacsaportal/sys...dID=5010087260
    there are other makes/models... this was first found.

Similar Threads

  1. Will KNOPPIX run on an Intel Itanium platform?
    By gclifft in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
  2. Cross-platform compilation
    By nihat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
  3. Niktarix - A new Knoppix Live CD for the ppc platform
    By niktaris in forum Other Live CDs
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:56 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
  5. cross-platform email ?
    By T-Dob in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 05:01 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R picture

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R

$399.00



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08