-
flash or microdrive for software development platform?
Hello all,
I'm a programer and I want to use Knoppix to run development tools. I remastered my own KNoppix 4.0.2 cd and it's not a too bad solution but every time I want a new version of a library I find myself wanting to make a new remaster, which is time consumming.
Then it downed on me that I can just put Knoppix in a 1 or 2 GB flash drive and use it as a regular hard drive, read write all the time. The problem is, I have read that flash drives have a lifespan of only about a million write cicles. (they actually recommend to disable caching if you run Firefox from it, imagine)
Then I thought about using a microdrive. As I understand it it's a regular harddrive, only tiny, connected to usb, but then I have no idea of microdives lifespans.
What's your opinion? Will a microdrive give me a better support to run many (millions) of code/compile/run cicles, plus web/app servers for development? To give you a better picture what I will be running is emacs + lisp + apache + postgresql
Thank you
Jaime
-
Senior Member
registered user
as far as I know they are MUCH better that flash drives, but not as good as full sized ones...
I would buy a smallish (2.5"= two and a half inch) external hdd, and use that as a permanent home.
I found one like i mean, after a google search, it is is a 40G drive that is 135x75x15mm, small enough to carry anywhere without trouble, and it runs without any external power (just that from the USB port), page is in swedish, sorry.
http://www.dustin.se/dacsaportal/sys...dID=5010087260
there are other makes/models... this was first found.
Similar Threads
-
By gclifft in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
-
By nihat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
-
By niktaris in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:56 AM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
-
By T-Dob in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$202.50

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack
$88.90

Intel Optane NMA1XXD128GPS DDR4 2666 4Rx4 ECC 128GB Server Ram
$80.00

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11
$62.55