-
flash or microdrive for software development platform?
Hello all,
I'm a programer and I want to use Knoppix to run development tools. I remastered my own KNoppix 4.0.2 cd and it's not a too bad solution but every time I want a new version of a library I find myself wanting to make a new remaster, which is time consumming.
Then it downed on me that I can just put Knoppix in a 1 or 2 GB flash drive and use it as a regular hard drive, read write all the time. The problem is, I have read that flash drives have a lifespan of only about a million write cicles. (they actually recommend to disable caching if you run Firefox from it, imagine)
Then I thought about using a microdrive. As I understand it it's a regular harddrive, only tiny, connected to usb, but then I have no idea of microdives lifespans.
What's your opinion? Will a microdrive give me a better support to run many (millions) of code/compile/run cicles, plus web/app servers for development? To give you a better picture what I will be running is emacs + lisp + apache + postgresql
Thank you
Jaime
Similar Threads
-
By gclifft in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-30-2006, 04:36 PM
-
By nihat in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-18-2005, 03:27 PM
-
By niktaris in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-23-2005, 08:56 AM
-
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-02-2004, 11:50 AM
-
By T-Dob in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-08-2004, 05:01 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Lot of 5 Cisco 10G SFP+ 850nm 300m Transceiver Module P/N: SFP-10G-SR-10-2415-03
$15.00

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Dell 10 Gigabit SFP+ SR Transceiver 0XYD50 NEW SEALED
$24.99