Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Getting Data off a Windows Partition

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2

    Getting Data off a Windows Partition

    Knoppix is pretty cool. I'm using it to backup some data on a windows machine that's totally crapped out because I can't get it to boot and I need to save some stuff before a clean install.

    Here's the question: There are 3 partitions on the Windows machine. In Knoppix, 3 drives show up and it's clear which is the boot drive.

    Because there's gbs of data that needs to be backed up I'm moving it from the boot partition onto the other available partitions.

    When I go to reinstall windows, I know it will recognize the partitions, but will the first one it shows be the c: drive for sure? What I'm saying is, can I be safe in knowing that if I choose the first partition it won't install on one of the ones I'm backing up to and delete all the files I'm trying to back up?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Yes you'll be safe.

    Go ahead. It's ok.

    sakiZ

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2

    Just to be sure..

    Is there a way to know which the C: partition is during the reinstall?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Indiana
    Posts
    110

    Use Fdisk and change the tags on the partitions

    I have installed windows on a HD with an existing windows data partition and the install was to F: a new partition, but a deal breaker with some windows installs. It is possible to change the drive letter to C:, but a world of grief, much detail.

    I have not done this recently with XP, so windows behavior may have changed, but I suspect not.

    I would use Fdisk on Knoppix to change the tags on all windows partitions to something windows doesn't recognize until after the windows install, and then change the tags back using Knoppix and fdisk again.

    rcook

Similar Threads

  1. Copy data from one partition to the other partition
    By bono in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-08-2005, 08:10 AM
  2. Can't see data on Windows FAT32 partition
    By alex2004 in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-17-2005, 11:20 PM
  3. Windows cant see data partition after hd install of knoppix
    By charles1981 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2005, 06:42 AM
  4. Recovering data from windows partition
    By StryDeR in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-23-2005, 08:00 AM
  5. Recovering data from NTFS partition ! Help
    By doktor in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-01-2003, 06:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99