Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: how to install truecrypt

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    how to install truecrypt

    Hi Everybody,

    I often use my USB stick in windows, and I have encoded some data on it using Truecrypt. This version is also supposed to work with Linux. Can anybody tell me how I can use truecrypt on a linux system? is there a manner to put the "traveller software" in a knoppix compatible way on the USB stick, so I can read the data ?

    P.S. please remember I am a complete newbie ....

    Thanks thanks Thanks !!!!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2
    I don't see any replies, but I'd certainly like to see some.

    I'm in pretty much the same boat.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    205
    You can download linux-version from http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php.

    However, there is no version for Knoppix or Debian, so you need to download the sources and install from there.
    However, this needs kernel-sources, and I don't know where to get kernel-sources for Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, so I wasn't able to install this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    also my problem exactly. the headers *should* be here

    http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/kernel/

    but it looks like the latest they have is for version 3.9 (which was horribly unstable)

    anyone have a direct connect to Klaus to get this updated?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by malaire
    You can download linux-version from http://www.truecrypt.org/downloads.php.

    However, there is no version for Knoppix or Debian, so you need to download the sources and install from there.
    However, this needs kernel-sources, and I don't know where to get kernel-sources for Knoppix 4.0.2 CD, so I wasn't able to install this.
    Borrow a Knoppix 5.0.1DVD (has the kernel sources) to download/verify the truecrypt source/signature and run the ./truecrypt-4.2a/Linux/build.sh script to compile it. Bzip2 the entire truecrypt-4.2a subdirectory (including the newly compiled items) and to compress and save it as a new, mildly larger archive.

    Use this new archive anytime with the 5.0.1CD to bunzip2 it, run the ./truecrypt-4.2a/Linux/install.sh script, and go.

    (Perhaps on a 1GB USB stick booting from knoppix iso with 256MB left for a truecrypt storage archive? )

Similar Threads

  1. Is it possible to install Truecrypt & newer Firefox?
    By userxyz in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-19-2008, 10:17 PM
  2. Live CD or distro with Truecrypt?
    By llista in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM
  3. Mount a Truecrypt volume as /home/knoppix
    By docinthebox in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2007, 02:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



ASUS Prime B550M-K DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard  picture

ASUS Prime B550M-K DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard

$30.00



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG picture

Dell Precision 3650 Tower Intel LGA 1200 DDR4 Desktop Motherboard NDYHG

$59.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99