Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: CLI navigation problems on NTFS volume

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    CLI navigation problems on NTFS volume

    I'm using Knoppix ver. 3.4 CD (specifically the version that comes with the book Knoppix Hacks) but the issue I'm having should be universal between distros. What I'm trying to do is use Captive-NTFS to allow read/write access (working fine BTW) and navigate the file system in a shell. The goal of which is to delete viri/spyware from the volume. I've been able to mount the drive and delete most of what I want but I'm having specific issues with some of the Windows acceptable long file names, specifically ones with spaces in them i.e. C:\Program Files\ (or if you prefer, /mnt/hda1/Program Files). I can see the folder if I use a ls command in the shell but I can't cd to it. Could this be because it has some attribute I didn't check for?

    Thanks in advance,

    'Goon

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    You may have to wrap the path in quotes " " or use the backslash key to make it ignore the spaces.

    cd "Program Files/Common Files/"
    or
    cd Program\ Files/Common\ Files/

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Hampton Roads, VA USA
    Posts
    81

    Ah-ha!

    Okay, I did try the quotes thing (same thing works in DOS) and had no luck; I did not know of the backslash for ignoring spaces in path names, thanks for that!

    'Goon

Similar Threads

  1. deleting file on ntfs volume
    By Gary in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2005, 12:19 PM
  2. Absolute newbie here...can't write to XP NTFS volume
    By tofergregg in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2004, 03:31 AM
  3. NTFS mounting problems
    By Don_PhrostByte in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 06:14 PM
  4. selective navigation
    By Kreator in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 08:13 PM
  5. Deleting files on NTFS volume
    By frishert in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-23-2003, 11:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



(LOT OF 4) Intel Core i5 Processors Different Gens picture

(LOT OF 4) Intel Core i5 Processors Different Gens

$249.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD picture

Lenovo ThinkCentre M920s SFF Barebones PC Motherboard PSU DVD No CPU RAM SSD

$27.99



AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description) picture

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)

$59.00



Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor picture

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad picture

AMD - Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core - 16-Thread 3.4 GHz (4.5 GHz Max Boost) w/ Ice Pad

$355.99