Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I hope this isn't a stupid question

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3

    I hope this isn't a stupid question

    Well, I am gonna hang my head out there so please sharpen your axe so it will minimize the pain.

    As I have just recently given up bell bottoms and tie dye I have just come across the Knoppix net. It was really a reaction to a news posting room where someone was commenting on the Texas / DMG / Sony suit. One gentleman state that he was glad he uses Linux. So my search of knowledge regarding Linux lead me here.

    I am attempting to gain a better understanding of the program to see if it is something I would like to use on my home laptop as I find Windows a bit unruley. (Please forgive any spelling error on the way here.) I was intrigued by the running from a CD aspect eventhough I do not fully understand what the program does. So, since I am spanking new to this forum and the program I am not sure where I should be posting my, the most elementary, questions.

    Where may I find more infromation of what this program does and what programs it really replaces or improves upon?

    My understangin is that it is an operating system. Does it replace MSWindows? Can it be run on a computer that has Windows without destroying the Windows Program. Somehow I feel the need for a backup OS for my work while I experiment with this new one.

    Please forgive me at this time as I really don't know what to ask to satisfy my need to know.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Stupid question? It's certainly a stupid subject line.

    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    3

    thank you

    my apologies

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    Linux can indeed replace Windows for most things, gaming is where Windows shines but...
    I use linux for: mail, surfing, programing, listneing to music (mp3, cd's, dvd's web-radio...), watching film (dvd cd...), writing documents, spreadsheets, burning cd/dvd's and MUCH more.
    only hting i have found Linux lacking is in gaming.

Similar Threads

  1. Stupid question about LILO
    By crazygopedder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 02:36 AM
  2. Probably a very stupid question, newbie
    By lace99 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 02:25 PM
  3. Gnoppix question (Hope someone can help)
    By ido50 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2003, 04:41 PM
  4. An (I hope) basic networking question- linux newb
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2003, 05:19 AM
  5. Stupid question about remastering.
    By spite in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q

$185.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2 picture

Samsung - 990 PRO 1TB Internal SSD PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

$200.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working

$30.00



RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+ picture

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+

$174.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED. picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ Plus 11” 128GB Android Tablet Graphite BRAND NEW SEALED.

$214.99