Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Just installing one app, but asks for a HUGE download

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    6

    Just installing one app, but asks for a HUGE download

    I just installed Knoppix 4.0.2 to HD. I did an apt-get to install kscreensavers and it is requiring the installation of 149 packages for a total of 222 MB, including many KDE apps. It looks like it is asking me to upgrade a big chunk of the KDE system, libs and apps, just to install kscreensavers.

    The question: How can I avoid this big download and just install what I want?


    This is the command I am using, in case you are wondering:

    Code:
    apt-get install kscreensavers
    I did the same thing succesfully with Knoppix 3.9, without the big download.

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    42
    Been there! Knoppix 3.8.3 did that to me for a fairly simple sound mixer, and 4.0.2 did the same recently for something else (I forget what). Since I'd only just wiped the machine, I let it carry on, on the basis I could just wipe again and start again.

    In the event, it installed several hundred packages, and the only change I could see was that Kaffeine disappeared, and Rosegarden4 would no longer install. Not a big deal.

    The Knoppix-installed machine is now the fileserver for the network and doing very well at that.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    First check the kde version installed with for example "apt-cache policy kdelibs4"
    It will return something like "Installed: 4:3.4.1-1" as with knoppix 4.0.2
    The 3.4.1-1 is what you want kscreensaver to also be.
    "apt-cache policy kscreensaver" will tell you the versions available. If you can't see the matching version a google might be fastest to get it.
    If you do find a version in apt do "apt-get install kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1". If you download a .deb install with "dpkg -i kscree.........deb"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for your replies.

    I tried what you suggested and a few things more, but I could not find the version of kscreensaver I needed. I tried apt-get for every distro (stable, unstable, testing, experimental) with -t {distro} kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1.

    I also noticed that if I kept with the upgrade the applications k3b and kaffeine were going to be removed, among a few others. Does that means that those apps are not in the current upgraded distros? Wiil apt-get let me install them again after the upgrade?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    I had the same issues you describe. Here is how I made it work for me:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...?p=96617#96617

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    There's always source:
    wget ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.4...-3.4.1.tar.bz2
    tar xjf kdeartwork-3.4.1.tar.bz2
    cd kdeartwork-3.4.1
    ./configure
    make
    su
    apt-get update && apt-get install checkinstall
    checkinstall -D make install

    Also the package seems to be on the knoppix dvd. You might want to see if you can repack it.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    6
    Commenting out UNSTABLE, TESTING and EXPERIMENTAL url's in sources.lst worked to install all KDE screensavers without a big download, after an apt-get update.

    Another way to solve installation problems under Knoppix 4.0.2 will be to add other sources to source.lst. For example, I wanted to install digikam, but there were unresolved dependencies, I guess because I was using only the STABLE branch. I could finally install digikam when I found a different source from http://www.apt-get.org through their search script.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    228
    you could try different versions right from the command line without changing anything. On a system you have designated as stable (see link in previous post) you could use this to install the testing version of xscreensavers

    apt-get -t testing install xscreensavers

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Puerto Rico
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by pau1knopp
    you could try different versions right from the command line without changing anything. On a system you have designated as stable (see link in previous post) you could use this to install the testing version of xscreensavers

    apt-get -t testing install xscreensavers
    I did and wrote about it here,

    Quote Originally Posted by edwood
    Thanks for your replies.

    I tried what you suggested and a few things more, but I could not find the version of kscreensaver I needed. I tried apt-get for every distro (stable, unstable, testing, experimental) with -t {distro} kscreensaver=4:3.4.1-1.

    I also noticed that if I kept with the upgrade the applications k3b and kaffeine were going to be removed, among a few others. Does that means that those apps are not in the current upgraded distros? Wiil apt-get let me install them again after the upgrade?
    Thank you

Similar Threads

  1. ISO HUGE
    By babelbrennt in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-26-2006, 07:09 PM
  2. HUGE THANKS!
    By jinzora in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-11-2005, 12:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 03:21 PM
  4. Machine asks for cd at logon screen
    By vinoko in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 06:05 PM
  5. Boot asks for screen resolution [number or space]
    By mnomn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 07:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots picture

READ - Vintage Apple Macintosh SE/30 - Boots

$850.00



Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic picture

Apple Macintosh Classic M1420 Vintage Desktop Computer Model Macintosh Classic

$100.00



Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS picture

Vintage 1992 Mac System 7.1P1 Apple Software 3.5” Floppy Disks NOS

$35.00



Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX picture

Vintage Apple Computer 3.5 Floppy Drive EMPTY BOX

$29.99



Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010 picture

Vintage 1983 Apple II ProDOS User's Kit Computer Software NEW SEALED A2D2010

$64.95



READ - Apple Macintosh Desktop Computer M0001 Vintage picture

READ - Apple Macintosh Desktop Computer M0001 Vintage

$599.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$180.00



Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested picture

Vintage Apple III Motherboard Logic Board 820-0043-00 E Fully Populated Tested

$210.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99