Huh. It worked this time. I don't know if it makes any difference, but this time I was quitting from GNOME and not KDE.
I have a Dragon Lite Soyo motherboard, and I'm running Knoppix DVD 4.0.2
During shutdown, Knoppix always hangs when trying to unmount the filesystems:
When this first happened, I thought it might be because I was supposed to unmount my hard drive partitions by hand. So this time I unmounted it through KDE before shutting down, but it hung anyway. Knoppix works fine in all other respects.
Huh. It worked this time. I don't know if it makes any difference, but this time I was quitting from GNOME and not KDE.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$640.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00