Well, actually I added "myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1" but that wouldn't all fit on the title.
I'm trying to follow the instructions in these two threads:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15469
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...er=asc&start=0
in order to make a CD that uses a home directory on a USB keychain drive. I am working with Knoppix 3.7 since the "unionfs" stuff in the more recent versions doesn't seem to work properly for me (takes forever, and often causes filesystem corruption -- but that's a separate topic).
I changed the second and third lines of the isolinux.cfg file to read as follows (first line is also included below for clarity):
The original was:Code:DEFAULT linux24 APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix TIMEOUT 100
In short, I added "myconfig=scan home=/dev/sda1" after the VGA parameter but before the INITRD parameter. (Sorry about the lines wrapping due to length, I know it's hard to read.)Code:DEFAULT linux24 APPEND ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us apm=power-off vga=791 initrd=minirt24.gz nomce quiet BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix TIMEOUT 300
I also edited the last line to make the file the same size as the original (a bunch of comment characters, put there for exactly this purpose). I then used the modified "isoinfo" posted by Fabianx (thanks!) in the second thread above to replace the one in the ISO image with my modified version.
This much obviously worked correctly -- I did file comparisons to make sure the file was correctly in place and nothing else had changed. However, when I boot the CD, I get an error message about the SDA1 drive not existing. It asks if I want to "retry (Y/n)", but no matter what I respond with, it keeps retrying in an apparent infinite loop. Yes, no, ctrl-C, carriagereturn, whatever -- it just keeps retrying and printing the error message.
My flash drive is completely empty -- no home directory info or scripts yet, since this is the first time I'm booting the modified CD.
Do I need to initialize the flash drive somehow, or am I going about this whole thing wrong?
Thanks,
Hairy

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$155.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99