Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix can't mount hdd, wrong fs type

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix can't mount hdd, wrong fs type

    Hi,

    I am trying to recover files from my hard drive, because Windows won't boot anymore. I tried re-partitioning, and it failed, and left me with Windows not working.

    When I click on hda2, it tells me:
    wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2

    missing codepage or other error

    So, then I tried: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    and it still says "wrong fs type..."

    So I entered the command that lets me see all the partitions, and hda2 was there, and it showed the right size of it and that it was ntfs.

    Does anyone know how I can mount this device so that I can copy the files to a cd and abe on my way?

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13

    Re: Knoppix can't mount hdd, wrong fs type

    Quote Originally Posted by munky135
    Hi,

    I am trying to recover files from my hard drive, because Windows won't boot anymore. I tried re-partitioning, and it failed, and left me with Windows not working.

    When I click on hda2, it tells me:
    wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hda2

    missing codepage or other error

    So, then I tried: mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/hda2
    and it still says "wrong fs type..."

    So I entered the command that lets me see all the partitions, and hda2 was there, and it showed the right size of it and that it was ntfs.

    Does anyone know how I can mount this device so that I can copy the files to a cd and abe on my way?
    If it is an NTFS partition and it is still intact, you should be able to access it using BartPE. That is a bootable WinXP/Minidistro with WinXP kernel. It will use Microsofts dirvers to access the filesystem. Just google for it. You need a working Windows system (Win200 or newer), Installation CDRom of WinXP (Some Recovery CDs will do, too), some free time and disk space to build a BartPE CD yourself.

    Hellfred

Similar Threads

  1. Help debugging mount: wrong fs type message
    By smhall05 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 03:36 AM
  2. Detecting motherboard type and name from within Knoppix?
    By tommydl in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
  3. Boot from iso - "wrong fs type" Error
    By punkbg in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2005, 11:16 AM
  4. mount: fs type devfs not supported by kernel
    By tnorala in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-23-2004, 03:29 AM
  5. intranet Movable Type web server using KNOPPIX
    By rman666 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-23-2003, 04:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable picture

Vintage Analog Computing Magazines For Atari Computer Owners No 11-20 Acceptable

$75.00



Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+ picture

Vintage Early Week 12 1984 Apple Macintosh 128K Computer M0001 w/Analog Board+

$209.99



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller picture

Vintage HP 82166A HP-IL Converter Custom “The BOX” TTL/DAC Interface Controller

$499.99