Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: After HDD install, can not access internet through ADSL ?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2

    After HDD install, can not access internet through ADSL ?

    I tried Knoppix 4.0.2 running from the CD and everything seemed okay and I was able to browse the internet with no problems.

    I did the HD install and that went fine without any hassles with my Dual Boot set up (XP)

    So my first bootup all is well except that I now have no Internet connection and I can not get things to work.

    I have a Netgear FA310TX card.

    Went back and booted from the CD and its ok.

    As a Linux newbie help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Thanks

    Mark

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you already ran "netcardconfig" you can try "ifup eth0" followed by "pump -i eth0"

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2
    Markus

    Wow thanks.............

    I typed in

    netcardconfig

    it did a DHCP broadcast, all is okay and I am now browsing and replying on this forum

    So do I need to do this everytime I boot up Knoppix or is there a config file I need to edit ?

    Thank you

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    No, once should be enough.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    The problem of the network cobnnection stopping working after a "hard disk install" of Knoppix is one of the oldest problems in Knoppix and has been going on for over 3 years now. If you didn't expect this to happen after a "hard disk install", then I have to wonder if you looked at the hard disk install issues much at all before deciding that Installing Knoppix was a good idea.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by markuk
    ... is there a config file I need to edit ?
    Good question! Maybe the answer can help my issue. I have an 3.4 installation with "beginner install.." option...etc. My eth0 was reconized by default at first boot. Days ago I've disabled the network with 'ifconfig eth0 down' and after that everytime I reboot the pc I need to run 'netcardconfig' or 'pump -i eth0' to restore my network, no_more_recognised_eth0_at_boot_by_default
    /etc/network/interfaces looks ok:
    auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback

    iface eth0 inet dhcp
    Any suggest will be apreciated, thanks!


    UPDATE:
    Solved!!! ...this whay: update-rc.d networking defaults

Similar Threads

  1. ADSL no internet on liveCD
    By archimedes1981 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2007, 01:30 PM
  2. Can't connect to internet through ADSL
    By Bataa in forum Networking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
  3. How do I connect to the internet - ADSL?
    By Styfir in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2005, 12:20 AM
  4. ADSL internet connection
    By metallica22 in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 06:08 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 06:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$174.99



HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD picture

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD

$249.00



DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS picture

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS

$99.99



HP ZBook Firefly 14

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC

$166.49



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter

$120.00



AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor

$245.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11 picture

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11

$89.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99