Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: hdinstall on /hdd2, like to have /home/frank on /dev/sda2

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21

    hdinstall on /hdd2, like to have /home/frank on /dev/sda2

    Hi,
    I request some help please. I installed the Knoppix 4 DVD on /dev/hdd2 and I would like my home directory to be located on /sda2/home/frank instead of /hdd2/home/frank. What filepermissions/ ownership do I need for the /sda2/home/frank directory? How do I make the mount and symbolic links? Do I need to modify /etc/lilo.conf?

    Also, the knoppix-installer didn't set my primary hard disk (/sda1) to give me the boot menu of linux vs Windows when I boot up. Is there a FAQ for that?
    Thanks,
    Frank

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    - boot knoppix cd
    - sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
    - sudo mount /mnt/sda2
    - cd /mnt/hdd2/home
    - sudo cp -Rp * /mnt/sda2/
    - sudo echo "/dev/sda2 /home auto rw,auto,users,exec 0 2" >> /mnt/hdd2/etc/fstab (or add it with: sudo mcedit /mnt/hdd2/etc/fstab)
    - reboot to hd install
    - type mount to check that /home is mounted and working and then remove the /home contents from hdd2:
    - boot from cd
    - sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
    - cd /mnt/hdd2
    - rm -rf home/*
    - reboot to hd install
    - done

    Knoppix uses grub instead of lilo so no, you don't need to change lilo.conf

    - add to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    title Windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21
    Thanks, I appreciate your help. There's still a glitch to be resolved. Maybe it was not clear from my previous post. I have no boot menu at all. I tried doing what you suggested and I am only half way there. How do I install grub to load into the computer hard disk boot up?
    Thanks,
    Frank

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Oops, misunderstood that. First look at /boot/grub/menu.lst and see if it looks ok and contains lines looking something like this at the bottom:
    <snip>
    title Windows 2000
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    makeactive
    chainloader +1

    title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.14.2-191105
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.14.2-191105 root=/dev/hdb1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 \
    lang=us hda=scsi hdb=scsi nomce vga=794 splash=silent
    initrd /boot/initrd.splash
    savedefault
    boot
    <snip>

    Then install grub to the mbr. This assumes your box boots from hda first so change hda to your boot disk (sda?):
    - boot cd
    - sudo mount /mnt/hdd2
    - sudo grub-install --recheck --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/hdd2 /dev/hda

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    21

    It works!!

    Thanks so much, it works!!

    I did a little reworking for the drive, like you said. I leave the final result for any person who might need it in the future.

    title Knoppix 4 Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.12
    root (hd1,1)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.12 root=/dev/hdd2 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us hda=scsi hdb=scsi nomce vga=794 splash=silent
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    savedefault
    boot

    Best regards,
    Frank

Similar Threads

  1. $HOME directory (/home/knoppix) is out of disk space
    By benopdezolder in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-03-2009, 01:45 AM
  2. can't mount /dev/sda2
    By transistortoaster in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-30-2007, 09:58 AM
  3. :?: file:/mnt/sda2 - Permission, Modify content, Error:!:
    By Simonkex in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 06:07 PM
  4. Replace default cd home drive with persistant home drive ???
    By ktheking in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 09:35 PM
  5. knx-hdinstall + low RAM
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2003, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ... picture

MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...

$89.99



ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard

$351.99



Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard picture

Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H Motherboard

$54.99