Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Bios Changed after installation

  1. #1

    Bios Changed after installation

    After using Knoppix 4.0.2 on a live DVD I decided to install it on a Microtel 1.1 Ghz with AMI bios. After the install it wouldn't connect to the internet. I went in and configured the network card. I was then able to connect to the internet. Upon rebooting the computer, I recieved an error message stating to put in a boot disk (cdrom or floppy). I did not choose this option when I installed Knoppix. I put in the live DVD and it booted but of course it was running off the live DVD. I went into the bios and discovered that they had been changed to boot 1st from CD, 2nd from Realtek (etho card) 3rd floppy. How did Knoppix change my bios to boot from the network card? I tried to change it to my hard drive but that is no longer even an option, booting from Realtek (network) replaced it in the boot options list. It has total screwed my computer to being next to unusable. I tried installing a different distro in hope it would clear things up but it doesn't. Knoppix has made my computer a door stop. Luckly it is just a spare computer I have for testing out distros.

    I may have inadvertantly configured the card wrong but it sure shouldn't change my bios. Especially since I can't change them back to boot from the hard drive.

    Any ideas?

    I'm hoping I'll be able to reflash the bios and cure this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    i doubt your bios got messed up...you CMOS settings could be however...this happened to me...but your motherboard manual should tell you how to reset your CMOS. it's rather easy.

  3. #3
    I took the battery out and reset the CMOS that way. I went back into the bios and set things up and it now seems to work fine. Thank you for your help. I didn't even think of a reset.

Similar Threads

  1. hd installation changed video card not recognising it?
    By donnysrx in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 03:47 AM
  2. cd error changed
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 12:36 PM
  3. Knoppix changed my HOSTNAME env var?
    By kclawson in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 02:18 AM
  4. Last apt-get changed dial-up abilities
    By tralfaz in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 12:16 AM
  5. I changed the BIOS, but laptop still boots Win from HD
    By kiru9867 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 09:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Razer Boomslang 1000 First Edition Gaming Mouse Tin Box CD Manual Vintage picture

Razer Boomslang 1000 First Edition Gaming Mouse Tin Box CD Manual Vintage

$449.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov picture

Vintage Panasonic Sr. Partner RL-H7000 Computer w/Service Manual & DOS Disks Cov

$275.00



Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used picture

Vintage AppleCD 300i Plus CD-ROM Optical Drive SCSI 1993 Used

$47.99



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Vintage Dell AT101W Keyboard Wired Mechanical GYUM90SK PS/2 picture

Vintage Dell AT101W Keyboard Wired Mechanical GYUM90SK PS/2

$59.88



VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC picture

VINTAGE ESS ES1868 16 BIT ISA SOUND CARD COMPAQ 247428-001 - USA SELLER RM2-SC

$24.95



Vintage 1990/91 APPLE MACINTOSH Display Card 670 M0121 820-0600-A UNTESTED picture

Vintage 1990/91 APPLE MACINTOSH Display Card 670 M0121 820-0600-A UNTESTED

$79.90



Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage Toshiba XM-6201B SCSI 50 Pin CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99



Vintage Mitsubishi CDVR412 CD-RW Optical Drive SCSI 50 Pin Used picture

Vintage Mitsubishi CDVR412 CD-RW Optical Drive SCSI 50 Pin Used

$47.99