This is probably the most common problem with a hd install. A quick search on this site perhaps?
(sorry if my english is bad...)
I have a question :
I have knoppix live-CD ...
So here I wanted to install it to HD (hard drive)
I installed it with knoppix-installer...
then I load It from HD and there are no internet. all is Alright, except network/internet...
The Internet works through the network card and from the network card wire it is pulled to router, and from router to ADSL...
so here I cannot understand what is the problem... when I start knoppix CD-live all was Alright... both network and internet...
and from HD it is not loaded...
another problem: when I load it from HD he writes
Loading PCMCIA:
Unable to load Cardmgr
(this not accurately in these words it wrote as is there written there)
thanks previously for help...
(sorry if my english is bad...)
This is probably the most common problem with a hd install. A quick search on this site perhaps?
Hi plazzmex,
This is a common issue with HD install of KNOPPIX.
You havve to configure the network once, then it will be available.
Go to "K" - network - configure
enter the "root" password and answer the questions in the dialogue.
Regards
PBock
One suggestion...
Boot from CD
Once booted check you network connection IP addresses.
try pump -i eth0 -s
and note down IP addresses of your eth0
then reboot from your HD install click the little penguin or knoppix on menu
then click network.internet, then network card configuration
then on dialog, when asked - use DHCP broadcast? click YES
if no errors you are connected else start again and answer no at the above dialog
then use the address you got from pump and enter in appropriate dialog
I have knoppix HD install 3.9. I've done the Network card setup, where it asks if you want to use DHCP and I say yes and it goes through and gets an IP address and it works great. However I have to do it every single time i restart. Is there a way to save the settings. I dont want to use a USB or floppy i'd like for it to save it on the HD.
If not is there a way to add the DHCP option to the boot process, so it does it automatically?
Thanks
gonzalezmauro,
Sorry for a long delay, been busy porting my apps from Win2k to Linux.
Try this:
Check your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 if it exist it should contain your settings.
for example:
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=10.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=10.0.0.0
BROADCAST=10.0.0.255
ONBOOT=yes
if you have other network cards, files are named ifcfg-eth1, ifcfg-eth2 respectively. Also check that ONBOOT=yes.
That should do it. Reboot then try if you can connect.

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00
Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99
DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95
Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4
$39.00
Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99
HGST HUS726060ALE610 0F23001 6TB HDD 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s 7.2K Hard Drive (V6315)
$69.95
Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99
(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99
Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS
$184.99