Current status: -right at this moment- the WG511 wireless connection is working. That's the good news; the bad is that I'm not certain why this is -- almost all the commands I issued were from a root shell, and I couldn't find a way to scroll backwards in the window nor to cut/paste sections of it which had scrolled off. (-Is- there a way to do this, please??)

As in my post just above, an "ifconfig eth0 down" and "ifconfig eth1 up" after inserting the PCMCIA card brought up one of the two WG511 lights. "iwlist scanning" then listed various nearby network ids.

But whether or not I specified a specific essid, whether or not I specified a key (or none in one case), whether or not I used the format "iwconfig eth1 enc keyid [2]" and "iwconfig eth1 key [2]," or took the path of "iwconfig eth1 essid .." and "iwconfig eth1 key ..," the result in each case was a DHCP failure. "pump -i eth1" failed (and disabled the card), as did the DHCP broadcast from the "wavelan configuration" menu, regardless of the access point associated with eth1.

My last attempt seems to have been the sequence of two iwconfig's for "enc keyid .." and "key [2]," followed by "netcardconfig" with no operands at all. The only root display still visible is just the netcardconfig, of course.

Hints or possible explanations would still be very welcome!

Wayne