Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: AOL & Knoppix == success!!!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    61

    AOL & Knoppix == success!!!

    I've had AOL DSL service thru SBC [co-branded] for over a year now and was dying to hook it up with my Knoppix computers. I think I finally found the key!

    With much googleing I found some great info at broadbandreports.com. It took some info from 2 different posts to get it working though!

    I finally broke down and got a Linksys WRT54G router...not that I wanted the wireless...but the there was mininal difference in cost with the wireless...so I *had* to get it [hahaha]

    I plugged all the stuff in the usual places
    I had configure the router for PPoE connections and set the MTU to "manual" and "1400"

    The "trick" to AOL DSL [again this worked for my provider SBC...it may not work for yours] is all about the username and passwords! The Second post I found several days ago and filed away because it was "cute" was what made it work! You have to type your AOL screenname as [email protected] in all lower case letters and without spaces or special characters! Also the password has to be the same!

    The rest of the Router settings were standard...I disabled wireless...because I don't have anything to connect to. I set up DHCP for my LAN and that's about it. It was surprisingly painless.

    On the off chance I booted up Knoppix....

    And it worked!!!! The router made it a normal network connection to the internet!!!
    For a matter of fact I typed this post at home, using Knoppix!!!! The normal DHCP configuration found my net connection at bootup!!!

    It also works for console games...which where some of my info came from for the router setup.

    see broadbandreports here

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...4400~mode=flat

    with the AOL base section here:
    http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/aolplus

  2. #2
    Ok ... but where do i type my user name and password.... ?

Similar Threads

  1. Success with Knoppix 3.6 and wireless networking
    By grant_vallance in forum Networking
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-24-2007, 02:17 AM
  2. Boot Knoppix 3.6 from USB key - How To (Success!)
    By mlap in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
  3. Anyone had success with Knoppix and Madwifi?
    By MaldiGola in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
  4. USB network doggle...Another Knoppix success!!
    By mabhatter in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-30-2004, 01:54 AM
  5. Knoppix success story...
    By dvessey in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE picture

Lot of 4 USED IPitomy IP620-B with IPX-32 DSS Expansion Module VoIP Phone POE

$225.00



Grandstream GXW4224 24-Line FXS Analog VoIP Gateway, Ethernet RJ-45 Black picture

Grandstream GXW4224 24-Line FXS Analog VoIP Gateway, Ethernet RJ-45 Black

$165.00



Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE picture

Set of 5 USED IPitomy IP620-B HD VoIP 6-Line IP Phone Speakerphone Ethernet POE

$149.00



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H picture

Grandstream HT701 1-Port FXS Analog Telephone Adapter ATA VoIP Gateway -Free S/H

$19.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



5 LOT - Polycom VVX411 Gigabit VoIP Desktop Business Phone 2201-48450-001 picture

5 LOT - Polycom VVX411 Gigabit VoIP Desktop Business Phone 2201-48450-001

$99.99



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$400.00



Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone picture

Lot of 9 Used IPitomy IP320-P HD POE Voice Speakerphone 12-Line VoIP Phone

$225.00