-
Senior Member
registered user
How do I "open" an.rpm file?
There are a lot of *.rpm files corresponding to applications,patches,etc. for linux.
I want to know how to install them in knoppix. Since there is this "read only error" whenever I try to install these files. I do not have access to a linux pc(even if I have I would not know where the files are installed anyway.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
An .rpm is Redhat Package Manager. While it is certainly possible to install an rpm on Debian it is not possible to install anything to a read only file system. I assume you are booting the Knoppix cd and have not installed it to your hard drive. If you want to use a packaging system on a hard drive installation you should try .debs They are not as common as rpm true but they work very well. IMO much better than rpm. Go to Debian and have a look at the Debian packages.
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can use the shell script from http://www.linuxfaq.de/f/Files/unp to unpack .rpm files in your home directory.
Similar Threads
-
By bluedevlx in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 01:22 AM
-
By victorhooi in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 08:25 AM
-
By kirpi in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
-
By wmcn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-29-2004, 06:54 PM
-
By LinuxGeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network
$874.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

nxa-pac-750w-pe v02 NEW OPEN BOX for Cisco Nexus 9300 Series power supply
$200.00