Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mozilla looks 'fuzzy' in KNOPPIX 3.2

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Mozilla looks 'fuzzy' in KNOPPIX 3.2

    I tried KNOPPIX 3.2(various build all with XFree 4.3, Mozilla 1.3) and the font just looks fuzzy which I believe is due to the anti-aliasing feature.

    Is there a way to turn off anti-aliasing in Mozilla ? I just don't like this feature, be it on XP or Linux. The KDE setting is disable as far as I can tell but Mozilla seems to ignore it.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Well, the simplest way to deal with fonts in Mozilla is to create a .fonts directory in your Home Directory and load it with the MS core webfonts (a Google search for "MS core fonts will find them} and a couple of your favourite from your Windows install if you have one. If you are using persistant home the fonts will be there every time you start Knoppix. Or, you can save configuration to hard disk (the fonts will make the .tbz file too big for a floppy) or, lastly, you can save a copy of the .fonts directory to a partition and copy it over to Home each time you start up which just takes a few seconds. KDE does not have to be restarted for Mozilla to access the fonts.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    thanks for the suggestion. However, GUI on linux is like black magic to me. It seems that the fonts used may not be related with X but some other font server and that each application may have its own idea of how to handle fonts where unlike Window is through a centralized API.

    Beside, my experience with Window is that the anti-aliasing feature is not necessary related to what font I used but how it is rendered and I don't know if the same is true in linux/Mozilla. So even I have replaced the fonts, I may still get the same anti-aliasing feature which gives me the fuzzy feeling. Not to mentioned that I don't know how to install font for Mozilla.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Well, it can't hurt to try it and I have found the results to be quite satisfactory. BTW, these are the fonts I am using for Mozilla under Knoppix:

    Proportional: Sans Serif /16 px
    Serif: Tahoma
    Sans Serif: Veranda
    Cursive: Comic Sans MS
    Fantasy: Serif
    Monospace: Andale Mono /15 px
    Minimum Font Size: 15 px
    Screen: 1024x768

    Looks pretty darned good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Tried it by copying the two fonts I used under window(same Mozilla 1.3) and the result is no good.

    First the speed drops significantly when I open Mozilla if I have a .fonts in my home(I used the persistent home feature), and it sometimes just close itself(I believe that means bug somewhere) abruptly.

    I also find the option to turn of anti-aliasing from XFree86.Org and it is just ugly comparing with the same setting in Window.

    In this regard, Windows looks much better than XFree86 and I doubt any joe blow user would find Linux attractive, simply from the GUI point of view.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    14
    This is one of the reasons, why I'm still using knoppix 3.1. The last version of 3.1 works perfect for me.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    This is one of the reasons, why I'm still using knoppix 3.1. The last version of 3.1 works perfect for me.
    Indeed. I am using the Cebit image which looks much nicer to me. I don't know if it is XFree86's problem and the selection of fonts has been changed but all those 3.2 builds(except the Cebit image) looks different.

    Unfortunately, the java run time in the Cebit build seems to have some problems.

Similar Threads

  1. Fuzzy Screen
    By jasond2m in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2005, 02:33 AM
  2. Text in Mozilla is fuzzy
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2004, 02:17 AM
  3. That warm fuzzy feeling..
    By obsoleto in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-27-2004, 04:46 PM
  4. Screen goes fuzzy...
    By Minnie000 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 05:26 PM
  5. Clicking mailto links in Mozilla opens Mozilla Mail notKMail
    By lavaman094 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 06:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$248.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99



Netgate SG-1100 firewall picture

Netgate SG-1100 firewall

$140.00