-
AOL & Knoppix == success!!!
I've had AOL DSL service thru SBC [co-branded] for over a year now and was dying to hook it up with my Knoppix computers. I think I finally found the key!
With much googleing I found some great info at broadbandreports.com. It took some info from 2 different posts to get it working though!
I finally broke down and got a Linksys WRT54G router...not that I wanted the wireless...but the there was mininal difference in cost with the wireless...so I *had* to get it [hahaha]
I plugged all the stuff in the usual places
I had configure the router for PPoE connections and set the MTU to "manual" and "1400"
The "trick" to AOL DSL [again this worked for my provider SBC...it may not work for yours] is all about the username and passwords! The Second post I found several days ago and filed away because it was "cute" was what made it work! You have to type your AOL screenname as [email protected] in all lower case letters and without spaces or special characters! Also the password has to be the same!
The rest of the Router settings were standard...I disabled wireless...because I don't have anything to connect to. I set up DHCP for my LAN and that's about it. It was surprisingly painless.
On the off chance I booted up Knoppix....
And it worked!!!! The router made it a normal network connection to the internet!!!
For a matter of fact I typed this post at home, using Knoppix!!!! The normal DHCP configuration found my net connection at bootup!!!
It also works for console games...which where some of my info came from for the router setup.
see broadbandreports here
http://www.broadbandreports.com/foru...4400~mode=flat
with the AOL base section here:
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/aolplus
Similar Threads
-
By grant_vallance in forum Networking
Replies: 22
Last Post: 06-24-2007, 02:17 AM
-
By mlap in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 35
Last Post: 04-18-2005, 09:21 AM
-
By MaldiGola in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-27-2004, 03:37 PM
-
By mabhatter in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-30-2004, 01:54 AM
-
By dvessey in forum The Lounge
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-03-2003, 08:27 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS
$127.54

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km
$15.99

DELL Precision T3420 | Xeon 1240v6 | 525GB SSD |16GB RAM |Nvidia GPU |Win11
$149.00

HP Z420 Tower Workstation Xeon E5-1620 3.60GHz, 4GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$140.00