I've been trying to add two extra harddrives (180GB each) to my system which already have a 40GB (boot) and a 120GB.
The system finds the drives and I am able to partition, make a filesystem (reiserfs) and mount them.
The problem comes after a couple of minutes when I start using them.
They stop responding. If I was copying I get a "Segmentation fault".
If I happend to do a 'ls' the command never returns and I am not able to kill the command even as root.
The system also can't be shut down since the drives won't respond.
I've tested the drives and they work fine.
The whole HW configuration has been run with win XP without problems.
I've tried switching IDE ports and even used a Promise IDE expander.
The only time one of the drives works is if I use it as boot disk (which I don't want to).
DMA is on. UDMA mode 5 used.
Do anyone have an idea to what the problem is?

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2
$75.99
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99
Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00
WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95
Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array
$55.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go
$75.00
Adaptec ASR-71605 16-Port 1Gbps PCIe RAID Card High Profile
$18.49