-
Locked myself out of Debian
OK, so everything is installed. I get to the Debian log-in screen, but when I put in my username and password it says it is incorrect...
I can use the root password, which I works, to boot in recovery mode, but I don't know what to type to sort it out....
Any ideas?
Rich
-
I have tried pressing cntl-alt-f1 to get to the prompt, and typing adduser, then my name. it creates a directory etc, then says, can't do that, and deletes them again...
What do I do????
I can't login using the graphical interface to KDE/Gnome at all, as you can't log in as root there....
-
Senior Member
registered user
You can log in as root....You just have to configure it to do so. In the GNOME display manager, if that's what your using, there's like...Configuration thingies.
-
How do you do that?
I am in the initial first time you get asked to enter a password. It says, welcome to the KDE environment, and has a login and password. I can bypass this and just log in at the prompt, but obviously this isn't KDE! Typing add user doesn'y work... what do I need to do?
Rich
-
Senior Member
registered user
Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?
-

Originally Posted by
maxIT
Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?
I just tried that, but it says my username doesn't exist...
I think I must have messed up on installing...
Stiil, typing adduser creates a user, then deletes it again...
But my root user still exists...
Should I just reinstall Debian on top of what I have already installed, and try again? Will this mess up Grub?
What did I do wrong when I installed?
Thanks,
Rich
-
Also, is there anyway to list the users that exist? Perhaps I made a spelling mistake somehow...
-
Senior Member
registered user
just look in the textfile /etc/passwd,
Similar Threads
-
By mistyken in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
-
By piq29 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
-
By yadwin in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
-
By TheTempest in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs
$87.99

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD
$239.99

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i
$228.00

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV
$18.95

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.26

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US
$120.73

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD
$265.00

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$300.00