Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Locked myself out of Debian

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50

    Locked myself out of Debian

    OK, so everything is installed. I get to the Debian log-in screen, but when I put in my username and password it says it is incorrect...

    I can use the root password, which I works, to boot in recovery mode, but I don't know what to type to sort it out....

    Any ideas?

    Rich

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    I have tried pressing cntl-alt-f1 to get to the prompt, and typing adduser, then my name. it creates a directory etc, then says, can't do that, and deletes them again...

    What do I do????

    I can't login using the graphical interface to KDE/Gnome at all, as you can't log in as root there....

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    You can log in as root....You just have to configure it to do so. In the GNOME display manager, if that's what your using, there's like...Configuration thingies.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    How do you do that?

    I am in the initial first time you get asked to enter a password. It says, welcome to the KDE environment, and has a login and password. I can bypass this and just log in at the prompt, but obviously this isn't KDE! Typing add user doesn'y work... what do I need to do?

    Rich

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    italy
    Posts
    245
    Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    Quote Originally Posted by maxIT
    Do you have tryed in recovery mode (or ctrl-alt-f1) to type 'passwd user (user=your user name)' to change the user password?
    I just tried that, but it says my username doesn't exist...

    I think I must have messed up on installing...

    Stiil, typing adduser creates a user, then deletes it again...

    But my root user still exists...

    Should I just reinstall Debian on top of what I have already installed, and try again? Will this mess up Grub?

    What did I do wrong when I installed?

    Thanks,

    Rich

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    50
    Also, is there anyway to list the users that exist? Perhaps I made a spelling mistake somehow...

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    just look in the textfile /etc/passwd,
    Code:
    cat /etc/passwd

Similar Threads

  1. HELP! my DVD rom is locked
    By mistyken in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-26-2008, 04:05 PM
  2. Hard Drive Locked Up
    By piq29 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
  3. Locked /usr/local/bin directory
    By yadwin in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-20-2004, 04:57 PM
  4. locked up program
    By TheTempest in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2004, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W

$899.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99