-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
syruice
I checked the iso with the checksum utility and it was fine
I burned it with nero burning rom version 5.5.10.35
I used the option under the file drop down menue to burn an image
It didnt give me an error .... its just that ive never seen it come up with foreighn image in the image properties tab
Well, it soundl like you could be using the proper technique for Nero 5 and that you are not getting an error. So far so good. I see you finally told us what version of Nero you are using, but I'm still wondering what version of Knoppix you are burning.

Originally Posted by
syruice
I burned it at 4x ... a painfull experience
Gee, it takes about 15 minutes or so at 4x. It seems like you spent a lot more time than that on this, so doing what has been found by many many users to be important shouldn't be a big issue. I just go and grab a snack or do some chore when I burn a CD (any CD). Sure, I wish my CD burner really worked at 48x or 52x, but the tuth is that high speed burns are marginal; the flaws intrioduced are often but not always hidden by the extensive error correcting code on a CD. I burn everything now at slow speeds. My advice to you is at least while you are trying to resolve things burn a copy slowly so that isn't yet another factor to deal with. After you have things working if you feel that you have to burn the CD in less than 2 minutes, go ahead, as long as you are not giving it to a friend or selling it. You might not have any problems, or you might spot the problems this causes and burn another copy at a safe speed.
You are using Nero 5, which if I remember properly does not do a verification pass for a ISO burn (6 does have that option). So your burn is a little faster than with 6, but you could have a bad burn and not know it.

Originally Posted by
syruice
it finished burning with no problems and restarted the pc to boot from the cd
It booted up to the first command screen (like I said im completly new to linux.. ive never used it before today)
I pressed f2 for the command list and used "Knoppix" It started detecting the usb stuff
OK, it sounds like things are going fine so far. You don't need to type knoppix if not using a cheat code; just an enter at the prompt will do. However, you do use knoppix with most cheat codes, and since you are having problems I would suggest knoppix testcd as the code to start with. Warning: the screen blanker may cut in while the CD is still being checked; just hit the shift key when this happens to get the screen back.

Originally Posted by
syruice
then after it seemed to finish this it started to (i assume) look inside the said directory for something for a split second then it gave me the error i stated in the first post
I'm not clear why you are getting the error. I've never seen it. I don't know what hardware you are booting on or even what version of Knoppix. The cloop file is the large compressed file of all the Linux applications that Knoppix holds, obviously you need this. It sounds more like an issue of something amiss with the disc than with your computer hardware, but at this point that's very speculative.
There is a section in the wiki on cheat codes that would be worth reading. One common problem is a need to force DMA to be enabled or disabled. Can't tell you which your default is since I don't know your Knoppix version, but if it is 4.02 then DMA is off by default and you might want to use knoppix dma to force it on. If all else fails I like to use the expert cheat code to step through the boot process and find where it fails; sometimes this gives a lot of insight to what to change in booting options.

Originally Posted by
syruice
also just tried running slack live cd and it gave me some wierd cache error or something
Should this be so embarissing?
Well, I would personally take a few notes and give people better information than "some wierd cache error or something". And I still have no idea what you mean to say by "I had to sort of manually burn it". Giving good and detailed information is important to getting problems like this resolved.
Similar Threads
-
By Fog_Watch in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 11-14-2007, 02:08 PM
-
By flognat in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-08-2007, 06:57 PM
-
By wsun013 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-03-2006, 01:15 PM
-
By Droide in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-08-2005, 04:11 PM
-
By wicking in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-06-2004, 07:50 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99

Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00

LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric
$174.99

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60