Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

  1. #1

    Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    I'm attempting to boot knoppix 4.0.2 on a SCSI cdrom. I get the following:

    Burffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 138740
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 554964

    this repeats about 10 times with different blocks and sectors and then gives:

    cloop: Read error at pos 281164713 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 29684 blocks lost.
    and this happens time and time again as well

    The system will eventually start, but really crippled.

    I've booted this CD successfully on two other systems.

    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?

    Thanks,

    Pat

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?
    Maybe, as could a high speed burn. Also, you might want to try typing knoppix dma at boot time and see if that helps.

  3. #3
    Thanks. I re-burned the CD at 8x vs. the default 48x and I was able to boot into Knoppix OK. Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.

    Thanks again for the help.

    P

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.
    A lot of experience has taught me that any high speed burn (of anything) is marginal on any system, not just on your old server/CDROM. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. And sometimes even when a high speed Knoppix burn does boot it often runs slower than a slow speed burn because of all the error correction that takes place. I burn everything at slow speeds; it is well worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error
    By Andu3019 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
  3. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  4. buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd
    By mshanmuga in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 06:06 AM
  5. cann't read cloop device error
    By arashb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver picture

Lot of 500 Cisco 10-3145-02 QSFP-100G-CWDM4-S 100G CWDM4 QSFP28 Transceiver

$1500.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New picture

Cisco 8-Port Ethernet Catalyst Switch - WS-C2960C-8TC-L - Brand New

$50.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960x (WS-C2960X-48FPD-L) 48 Port POE Rack Mount Switch Brand New

$399.99



CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B,  SKU 16188 picture

CISCO Services Router C891F-K9, Grade B, SKU 16188

$24.94



Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850 picture

Cisco C3850-NM-2-10G 2 Port Network Exp Module for 3850

$16.99



Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C3560CX-8PC-S Managed Switch 8 PoE+ Port | Quantity Available

$97.49



Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver picture

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver

$5.40



Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960+24TC-S 24-Port Gigabit Managed SFP Switch

$39.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99