Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

  1. #1

    Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    I'm attempting to boot knoppix 4.0.2 on a SCSI cdrom. I get the following:

    Burffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 138740
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 554964

    this repeats about 10 times with different blocks and sectors and then gives:

    cloop: Read error at pos 281164713 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 29684 blocks lost.
    and this happens time and time again as well

    The system will eventually start, but really crippled.

    I've booted this CD successfully on two other systems.

    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?

    Thanks,

    Pat

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?
    Maybe, as could a high speed burn. Also, you might want to try typing knoppix dma at boot time and see if that helps.

  3. #3
    Thanks. I re-burned the CD at 8x vs. the default 48x and I was able to boot into Knoppix OK. Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.

    Thanks again for the help.

    P

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.
    A lot of experience has taught me that any high speed burn (of anything) is marginal on any system, not just on your old server/CDROM. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. And sometimes even when a high speed Knoppix burn does boot it often runs slower than a slow speed burn because of all the error correction that takes place. I burn everything at slow speeds; it is well worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error
    By Andu3019 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
  3. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  4. buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd
    By mshanmuga in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 06:06 AM
  5. cann't read cloop device error
    By arashb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD picture

GIGABYTE Z890M AORUS ELITE WIFI7 ICE INTEL MOTHERBOARD

$149.99



ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX picture

ASUS PRIME H410M-K LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen H410 DDR4 USB3.2 Motherboard M-ATX

$59.99



ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M Phantom Gaming 4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$71.49



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45



GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7 picture

GIGABYTE H610M S2H V2 Motherboard, Supports 14th/13th/12th Gen Intel Core i5 i7

$69.59