Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

  1. #1

    Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    I'm attempting to boot knoppix 4.0.2 on a SCSI cdrom. I get the following:

    Burffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 138740
    end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 554964

    this repeats about 10 times with different blocks and sectors and then gives:

    cloop: Read error at pos 281164713 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 29684 blocks lost.
    and this happens time and time again as well

    The system will eventually start, but really crippled.

    I've booted this CD successfully on two other systems.

    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?

    Thanks,

    Pat

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: Buffer I/O error on device sro ???

    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?
    Maybe, as could a high speed burn. Also, you might want to try typing knoppix dma at boot time and see if that helps.

  3. #3
    Thanks. I re-burned the CD at 8x vs. the default 48x and I was able to boot into Knoppix OK. Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.

    Thanks again for the help.

    P

  4. #4
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedskier
    Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.
    A lot of experience has taught me that any high speed burn (of anything) is marginal on any system, not just on your old server/CDROM. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. And sometimes even when a high speed Knoppix burn does boot it often runs slower than a slow speed burn because of all the error correction that takes place. I burn everything at slow speeds; it is well worth it.

Similar Threads

  1. Another booting issue... Buffer I/O read error
    By Andu3019 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM
  2. usb 1-2: device descriptor read/64, error -71
    By Albretch in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 06:45 AM
  3. "Buffer I/O Error on device cloop0" ...
    By jcdecode in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2005, 10:01 AM
  4. buffer I/O error while running knoppix cd
    By mshanmuga in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-19-2004, 06:06 AM
  5. cann't read cloop device error
    By arashb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware. picture

Firewalla Gold Plus 2.5gb W/Rack Mount Kit W/Keystones and Original hardware.

$500.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99