Maybe, as could a high speed burn. Also, you might want to try typing knoppix dma at boot time and see if that helps.Originally Posted by frenziedskier
I'm attempting to boot knoppix 4.0.2 on a SCSI cdrom. I get the following:
Burffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 138740
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 554964
this repeats about 10 times with different blocks and sectors and then gives:
cloop: Read error at pos 281164713 in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX, 29684 blocks lost.
and this happens time and time again as well
The system will eventually start, but really crippled.
I've booted this CD successfully on two other systems.
Would this be a bad CDROM drive causing this?
Thanks,
Pat
Maybe, as could a high speed burn. Also, you might want to try typing knoppix dma at boot time and see if that helps.Originally Posted by frenziedskier
Thanks. I re-burned the CD at 8x vs. the default 48x and I was able to boot into Knoppix OK. Seems that this old server/CDROM couldn't properly read the high speed burned CD.
Thanks again for the help.
P
A lot of experience has taught me that any high speed burn (of anything) is marginal on any system, not just on your old server/CDROM. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. And sometimes even when a high speed Knoppix burn does boot it often runs slower than a slow speed burn because of all the error correction that takes place. I burn everything at slow speeds; it is well worth it.Originally Posted by frenziedskier

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers
$164.95
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD
$14.99
Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)
$18.99
BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller
$714.99