-
Junior Member
registered user
Mac Os X 10.4 and Knoppix
Good day,
I'd submit a trivial question. How can I install, and use, Knoppix with my Apple ibook G4 and Mac Os X 10.4 (Tiger)? I'v tried to transform an ISO - mage in a .dmg - image and to burn a CD, but I was unable to start Knoppix.
What could I do?
Thanks,
davide
-
Senior Member
registered user
It will not work. Knoppix is built to run on the x86 cpu architecture (386, 486, Pentium 1 2 3 4, Celeron, AMD Duron, Athlon, Opteron, etc). The Apple machines use a G4 or G5 which is a PowerPC CPU. The only way you could run knoppix on your ibook is to first load up VirtualPC.
You can use Ubuntu Linux which is made for the PowerPC cpu. Ubuntu two types of CDs, one that runs only from CD and the other is installable to the hard drive. You can find them at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/download/
-
Junior Member
registered user
I thank You very much for Your kind answer.
Hi,
davide
-
Davide,
There were some versions of Knoppix designed for the ppc architecture. If you search a repository, you can find them. It is possible to repartition your hard drive to dual boot tiger and a Linux OS.
Kik
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks for the suggestion.
I've bought virtual PC 7 for Mac; so I can run Knoppix on it. How can I move some files from Knoppix to Mac OS? Is it not possibile? Is it, on the contrary, install on the hard drive (of the Virtual PC, of course) Knoppix? It seems to me a little slow; does it depend from my ibook with a processor of 8mhz?
Hi,
davide
-
Senior Member
registered user
Any time you run a computer in a virtual environment, it will run quite a bit slower than if it were running on the native hardware. As for moving files between the two, you might have to set up some sort of virtual network between the two and transfer files via SAMBA or something. I know that the Knoppix disks can't be accessed from outside, unless Virtual PC has some advanced features I don't know about.
-
Intel Core Duo
It will be interesting to see if Knoppix can run on the new x86 arch of Intel's new chips. A bual boot of knoppix and mac os x.
-
dual booting knoppix on mac os x 10.5 problem
i am so new to linux so please understand my ignorance i recently downloaded linux 8. something and tried to load it onto my mac through the windows xp partition of my mac and it didnt work so i ended up downloading knoppix which i was guaranteed would load of the disk but i wasnt successful but at least it was recognised unlike the linux which was not recognised at all and the knoppix gave me some hope so i will stick with it how can i load knoppix on any of my partitions without any problems so that i can use knoppix on my desktop.
-
Run Knoppix from USB
I want to install Knoppix on a USB Pen Drive and want to run Knoppix from that USB. How can do this. Give me the procedure
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED
$34.95

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019
$49.99

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB
$27.07

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included
$27.99

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply
$25.00

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone
$49.28

Yealink T53W Black IP Phone Verizon VoIP LOT OF 4 Business Desk Phone
$150.00

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)
$18.99

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP
$400.00

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone - Charcoal
$98.95