-
my pc won't boot Knoppix,help
I just brought Knoppix v3.4 in local store and decided to execute it from cd(I wouldn't install it on hard drive at this moment) but I'm havin problems with it.I put a cd then reset my pc and in bios put my pc to boot from my cd-rom.But Knoppix won't boot at all and I don't know why?I don't have problems with other bootable discs.On Knoppix CD I found boot folder-->isolinux-->files:Boot Security Catalog,boot.msg,f2,f3 files,isolinux.bin image,isolinux.cfg,linux24 file,linux26 file,logo.16 file,memtest file and minirt24.rar&mini26.rar archives.What do I need to do to make this cd bootable if it's not already?
-
Senior Member
registered user
it should work, do you get anything? errors? just a black screen?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
You just bought a very old copy of free software, and a disc that was likely burnt at high speed (a known source of problems with Knoppix). Still, there are some tips in the downloading faq that might help you to get it to boot, if the disk is any good and if this old version supports your hardware. And if not then the downloading FAQ will help you get a free copy of 4.02 and burn it correctly. You can find the FAQ by following the Documentation link near the top of this page.
-
I get only black screen with no option booting from cd.Booting just fails and pc reboots my Windows XP Pro.No way I'm getting 4.02 version coz I'm on dial-up.Can I somehow check for integrity of these files or is some file missing from cd?
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
paparazzo79
I get only black screen with no option booting from cd......Can I somehow check for integrity of these files or is some file missing from cd?
If you don't even get to the boot prompt the you can't use the testcd boot option. But you could still use SBM, one of the tips that is explained in detail in the downloading faq that I pointed you to.
-
I've got version 3.8 and it works fine for now.Maybe the cd was correctly burned.Thx anyway!!
-
Administrator
Site Admin-

Originally Posted by
paparazzo79
I've got version 3.8 and it works fine for now.Maybe the cd was correctly burned.Thx anyway!!
It's very hard to understand what is happening with you or your line of thought. You had the very old 3.4. It wouldn't boot, apparently even far enough to run the testcd option, so I know of no reason to think that the disk was good but somehow not working with your hardware. You now say that you got version 3.8 and it works fine. How you got it is not clear. 3.8 does work but it has some serious bugs, particularly with the union file system. It is still a very old release, so how you managed to get this is not clear. I certainly would assume based on all of the above that your 3.4 CD was bad, not that it was correctly burned as you say it might be. If you are getting these things from a local retailer who first stuck you with an old 3.4 disc and then with a somewhat less old but still far from current 3.8 disc, then I would say avoid that retailer at all costs for everything, and make friends with someone with a high speed connection.
Similar Threads
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive
$35.00

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT
$9.99

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Lot of 18 Various 16GB DDR4 2400T Server RAM. May have damage, not tested.
$900.00

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot
$3.75

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC
$4.95