-
Boot problem after install to HD
Dear all,
I just install Knoppix new version by follow the instruc... My hard disk already run Redhat 9 and windows XP. When install the Knoppix I also delete Redhat by raplate partition. I just wonder that in list of partitions for install Knoppix I only see one partition that is "/" of Redhat without any partition for boot or swap. But anyway I follow up to install Knoppix . Affter finish I restart and receive error mesenger like this
"Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root fs on unknow-block(36)
So please help me to fix it.
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
babyyou,
That error is typically generated when the kernel can't find a table entry for the root partition.
You may have a corrupted partition table. I find your post somewhat hard to understand so i can't really offer much more on this except ...
Could you provide a more ordered description of the situation. Just so folks don't have to guess.
You say, or rather, it appears as your saying that your partitioning for the knoppix install involved wiping your RH install.
I assume you either installed in the same location or resized the area.
I would also guess that what ever Linux boot loader your using was likely installed to the mbr. And i would expect that it was installed with your knoppix. If the loader was from your RH install, and as you seem to have "removed" RH, you would likely have a Loader error rather than a kernel error. True for Lilo at least. Though .... if it is Grub, and you installed to the same partition as existed for RH ... then grub would likely still find its secondary files.
But here i am making guesses.
Please clarify ....
Where are you getting thethe following from ....
>>
in list of partitions for install Knoppix I only see one partition that is "/" of Redhat without any partition for boot or swap.
>>
/etc/fstab ???
How ???
Are you using the LiveCD and mounting the install ???
Not possible if the table entry is missing !
Can you boot into your XP ???
If not, ie; can't boot into anything ...
Boot the LiveCD and post the output from,
]# cfdisk -Pt /dev/hda
please.
hda = your first drive, assuming ide. Change to whatever it might be.
Without the info there isn't much point in anyone responding to your question really. No offence if that sounds harsh either. I'm just trying to be helpful on those points 
jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
Similar Threads
-
By destro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
-
By ILoveKagome in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-07-2007, 11:58 PM
-
By hazelkid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-02-2006, 04:57 PM
-
By fadeh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-30-2005, 04:51 PM
-
By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

NEW Samsung Galaxy Tab A11+Plus 5G 2026 | 128GB GRAY KIT X238U
$185.00

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00

Samsung Chromebook 4 11.6" HD, N4000, 6GB, 64GB EMMC, Platinum Titan
$165.00