I still have a strange problem with my network card (normal, wired ethernet: "Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43"). When using Windows 2k, Kanotix or a Knoppix with kernel 2.4.x, it works really well, but not when using Knoppix. It's really strange, the driver that Kanotix uses seems to be perfect, the windows driver is great, too, but Knoppix seems to dislike my card. When booting a older Knoppix with 2.4.x kernel, the card works, but only in half duplex mode, but the problem with Knoppix with kernel 2.6.x is much more severe, the whole system crashes while booting (and I mean a _real_ crash, not even a message like "kernel panic" appears, the system simply freezes).

When using Kernel 2.4.x, I had a little shell script (made myself), that fixed the problem with having only half duplex:
Code:
---SNIP---
pump --kill
ifconfig eth0 down
rmmod de4x5
insmod tulip
pump
---SNIP---
(or better yet: modprobe instead of insmod.)

So, all in all, I think, the wrong driver is being loaded. That's not a big deal with kernel 2.4.x, but with kernel 2.6.x, it becomes one because the whole system hags, making it impossible to run any shell script.

I've checked the output of lsmod when running Kanotix, the module "de4x5" isn't mentioned, but the module "tulip" is, and it works like a charm. So I think, Knoppix should do exactly the same.

I also want to mention that the situation is exactly the same on two computers, that are otherwise different, but with identic network cards.

P.S.: Some information about the card:
Code:
lspci output (kanotix):
0000:01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)

lspci -v output (kanotix):
0000:01:07.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21142/43 (rev 41)
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
        I/O ports at 9000 [size=128]
        Memory at d8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1K]