Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Please help!

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Please help!

    Here is the problem, i'd appreciate any help towards solving it:

    1. I have an XP operated PC
    2. XP crashed due to an lsass error
    3. I can no longer boot XP
    4. I can not even boot to DOS
    5. I have a rescue disk that came with the (6 week old!) PC but not a windows (OEM) disk
    6. The rescue disk will wipe my drive and restore to factory settings, ie. reinstall XP
    7. I have over 70 GB of data on there I don't want to lose.

    My solution:
    somehow boot, copy my precious data to another drive and use the rescue disk. Note: The rescue disk will not do anything else but wipe and restore to facory settings.

    So far I have tried:
    1. Ubuntu live CD
    I tried this but could not see my drives (i have an ATA on which the OS was and an IDE which I wanted to use as my backup. Note, the IDE is normally not attached, in steead this IDE is attatched to a DVD drive)
    2. After asking for help on the ubuntu forums they refered me to Knoppix.
    3. Got knoppix (after a 3 hour trip through hell)
    4. Knoppix wont show my drives either!

    Please please please! Help! I have no desire to fatten Bil Gates' account by dishing out 200 bucks for acopy of XP which i technically allready own!
    Ive been computerless for a week now! please help an online game addict out![/b]

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    certainly there are several things you might try, like what does
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    say? that is l=L not i or 1 (one) and there are several others that have had "similar" problems, just search. below you have a few useful links, there are more. and keep asking here, i will help as much as i can.
    http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Rescue_FAQ
    http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/
    http://www.greenfly.org/talks/knoppi...e-oscon05.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17805

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Please edit your post and change the subject line.
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16574
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.26



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00