-
Making an External USB Drive writable
I have a Sony laptop and it does not boot into windows and XP recovery did not fix it (chkdsk: / R) In addition, the “SpinRiteâ€? disk utility says that the drive is in danger of failing and to backup data before attempting a fix. Well it came to mind to boot from Knoppix, I had heard that you can recover data in this manner.
So I booted boot from a Knoppix 4.02 DVD and can see and open windows docs and folders just fine on the Windows partitions (2) that are showing up on the Linux desktop. I can even see the thumbnail photos on JPG file icons which tells me the data is good.
I have an external USB drive that mounts fine on the Linux desktop. I formatted one partition as Linux ext 2 and the other is NTFS. Both partitions are free and clear of an important data so I can format these in any way that would enable the writing of the disk. I right clicked on both partitions and gave them all “read write" for everything, but I still can’t drag a file to the Linux EXT2 or the NTFS partition.
Any suggestions?
Similar Threads
-
By Krellan2 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 19
Last Post: 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
-
By hmhill17 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-04-2009, 06:10 AM
-
By fatfingers in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-20-2007, 06:24 AM
-
By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 12
Last Post: 12-29-2004, 11:45 PM
-
By howagood in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99

Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)
$29.90

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK
$154.99

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard
$101.99

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
$76.49

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen
$59.99