Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: usb devices not seen in Knoppix V4.02

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7

    usb devices not seen in Knoppix V4.02

    Knoppix V4.02 When I install a usb device, I do not get an icon on the desktop, or any way of accessing the files, however if you open System Kinfocenter and highlight usbdevices, I get a confirmation that the system knows all about my jumpdrive, down to the mfg and model number. In another forum, there was instructions on how to fix this by loading the ehci_hcd (ehci-hcd), however this file could not be found (not where the author said it would be). Does anyone know how I can fix this so that I can see my flash drives?

    Thank you
    Jbike

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30

    Manually??

    I just downloaded 4.0 and have little experience with it. So, I am not much help on your problem.

    However, let us first eliminate possible solutions.

    Put your flash drive in the USB place when you boot up.

    Open a terminal, type su <enter> to change to root mode.

    type mkdir /mnt/removable

    But, first see if it has /mnt or /media, change command accordingly.

    Then, type something like (google if not correct, my time here is limited) mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable

    Then click on /mnt/removable and see if it takes.

    If you have tried this already, then I have no ideas. Sorry. I do know in general on Live CD's I have had to do this, though I think on one, forgot which, sda1 was mounted automatically.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1
    since you obviously have some kind of communication with the USB device, you can always mount it yourself. All you have to do is
    Code:
     mount /dev/sda /mnt/removable
    or to some other mount point on your machine. You will likely have to do this as root. As a more permanent solution, make sure your /etc/fstab file contains something like
    Code:
    /dev/sda /mnt/removable auto defaults 0 0
    .

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the help. After making a /mnt/removable directory, and modifying my fstab file (as root), I can now see my usb data. However.... I still have to open a shell, log in as root, and type mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/removable in order for the usb drive to pop up on my desktop. All my data is there. The right click unmount command does not work, and complains that I need to be root.

    Does anyone know how to make the modifications such that any users other than root can use removable media? Perhaps by locating my /mnt/removable in a user directory? Also, in other distro's and in V3.9 and lower in knoppix, the desktop usb stick icons simply appear and disapear when the media is installed or removed, without any textual shell mounting. Does anyone know how this is done?

    Thanks so much.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kanata, ON CANADA
    Posts
    1

    usb devices not seen in Knoppix 4.02

    Try adding after auto in /etc/fstab ",uid=username,gid=groupname (substituting your username and groupname or number - probably 1000) and see if that does the trick.

    The oldSeaDog
    I want to die in peace and tranquility in my sleep, just like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Similar Threads

  1. How knoppix detects ide devices ?
    By kunalagon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 11:26 AM
  2. Knoppix 5.01 hangs during autoconfiguring devices.
    By mln in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 03:31 AM
  3. Knoppix on UMPC devices
    By chippy in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-12-2006, 10:49 AM
  4. How to let Knoppix 3.7-HDD autoconfigure changed devices?
    By honigbaer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2005, 01:31 PM
  5. knoppix hangs when autoconfiguring devices
    By gsanvic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US picture

LSI 9305-16i SATA SAS 12Gbs Controller card PCIe 3.0 IT-Mode w/SAS SATA cable US

$125.98



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00