Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: modem

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13

    modem

    Hi,
    I'm a new user of Knoppix 3.3. I've installated with Virtual PC 7.0.2. on my ibookG4, running Mac OS X 10.4.3. Tiger. I've found some problems... First of all, I'm unable to connect with internet. Knoppix tells me that the modem is busy. I've tried with ttyS03. I've tried with Kppp and, obviously with terminal, modfitying the file on issue. Second, Knoppix is unable to see my Printer, and my Photocamera. Finally, I cannot copy files from a mounted cdrom in a directory of Knoppix.

    Is there one able to help me?

    Thanks,

    davide

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30

    Details..

    First, post what type of modem you have. I have no idea what your background is, but most internal modems are what is called winmodems, which many of us call other then real modems. They are essentially audio interface circuits, and the modem function is created by windows software, thus helping create a MS monopoly.

    Lucent modems have drivers. Conexant modems have drivers, but they were only free for kernel 2.4, cost once per lifetime for 2.6 kernel. Um, actually you can get free 14K driver, but to make it faster, need to pay like $15, and don't lose the enable code they give you, works after reinstall and on other machines.

    There are other drivers with which I have no experience. Try google, be ready to dig.

    One solution for fixed-place computers is to buy an external modem, newer machines won't take serial plug, but some have said they have external USB modems.

    I forget URL something like www.linuxmodems.org or singular, google works.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    15
    I have had good luck using a U.S.ROBOTICS V.92 external modem and a usb-to-serial converter.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    13
    Thanks to both.
    I've tried something and now Knoppix see my modem. I'm able to connect in internet with knoppix, but the connection is very slow. So I connect with Tiger first, and then open surf with Knoppix. I've other problems... In any case, Knoppix is very very slow. It needs minutes to open Mozilla, for example. The speed of my Processor is 800Mhz and I've over 600 Ram, the upper limit for an ibook.

    Hi,

    davide

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,516
    you are running it in an emulator? no wonder it is SLOW!! that gives at best 25% of what it would be on real hardware.

Similar Threads

  1. Unable to open modem /modem busy
    By jodef in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
  2. How To Install Modem Aztech Internal Modem Msp3880
    By Mic Q in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
  3. Dial-up Modem Issues. Keeps saying "Initializing Modem&
    By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
  5. Modem err : ALi Corporation Intel 537 [M5457 AC-Link Modem]
    By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99