-
Junior Member
registered user
modem
Hi,
I'm a new user of Knoppix 3.3. I've installated with Virtual PC 7.0.2. on my ibookG4, running Mac OS X 10.4.3. Tiger. I've found some problems... First of all, I'm unable to connect with internet. Knoppix tells me that the modem is busy. I've tried with ttyS03. I've tried with Kppp and, obviously with terminal, modfitying the file on issue. Second, Knoppix is unable to see my Printer, and my Photocamera. Finally, I cannot copy files from a mounted cdrom in a directory of Knoppix.
Is there one able to help me?
Thanks,
davide
-
Details..
First, post what type of modem you have. I have no idea what your background is, but most internal modems are what is called winmodems, which many of us call other then real modems. They are essentially audio interface circuits, and the modem function is created by windows software, thus helping create a MS monopoly.
Lucent modems have drivers. Conexant modems have drivers, but they were only free for kernel 2.4, cost once per lifetime for 2.6 kernel. Um, actually you can get free 14K driver, but to make it faster, need to pay like $15, and don't lose the enable code they give you, works after reinstall and on other machines.
There are other drivers with which I have no experience. Try google, be ready to dig.
One solution for fixed-place computers is to buy an external modem, newer machines won't take serial plug, but some have said they have external USB modems.
I forget URL something like www.linuxmodems.org or singular, google works.
-
Junior Member
registered user
I have had good luck using a U.S.ROBOTICS V.92 external modem and a usb-to-serial converter.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks to both.
I've tried something and now Knoppix see my modem. I'm able to connect in internet with knoppix, but the connection is very slow. So I connect with Tiger first, and then open surf with Knoppix. I've other problems... In any case, Knoppix is very very slow. It needs minutes to open Mozilla, for example. The speed of my Processor is 800Mhz and I've over 600 Ram, the upper limit for an ibook.
Hi,
davide
-
Senior Member
registered user
you are running it in an emulator? no wonder it is SLOW!! that gives at best 25% of what it would be on real hardware.
Similar Threads
-
By jodef in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 07-31-2005, 08:21 AM
-
By Mic Q in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-17-2004, 02:17 PM
-
By panthrax in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-11-2003, 11:39 PM
-
By FarAway in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 05-14-2003, 10:29 PM
-
By www.rzr.online.fr in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-21-2003, 09:49 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD
$41.00

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive
$349.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

Lot of 2 HP 4TB / 128MB SATA 7.2K RPM 3.5" Hard Drive MB4000GCWDC /ST4000NM0033
$125.00

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s
$58.00

Toshiba 14TB MG07 MG07ACA14TEY 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 512e 3.5" Enterprise HDD
$339.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

WD Re 3TB Enterprise 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM 64MB Cache
$70.00