Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: None of the network components work on my Dell Inspiron 6000

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120

    None of the network components work on my Dell Inspiron 6000

    I have Knoppix 3.6 (I tried 3.8.1 but the keyboard and touchpad stopped working after the part where you can enter boot cheat codes) and the laptop boots fine, screen, touchpad and keyboard works but none of the network components work.

    This laptop has an Intel Pro/Wireless 2915ABG built in network card and a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated network controller.

    Neither of these work when I boot up my computer, the broadcom network card is recognized but it isn't picking up the IP address from my router and when I run the network configuration utility it doesn't work.

    I tried running NDISWRAPPER on the .inf file found in the intel folder but it didn't work. I tried following that site with the linux versions of the drivers but it is too complicated for me, maybe someone knows a noobie guide to it. (http://ipw2200.sourceforge.net/index.php

    Thanks a lot.

  2. #2
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    My expectations are low that the wired NIC will work, even lower with an old version of KNoppix, but the wired should work and indeed from what you are telling us it does, it just doesn't do DHCP properly.

    What is the make and model of the router? That may be very important for us to determine why you are not doing DHCP.

    I have seen a Belkin router that would not DHCP with Knoppix, but one could still go into Netcardconfig and do a manual setup.

    If you have a feature in the router that only allows certain MAC addresses to connect and you have that enabled, disable it. Do this even if the same computer can connect from Windows on the same NIC. Trust me on this for now, I don't have time to explain fully right now.

    Can you manually set the information in Netcardconfig if you answer the DHCP question negative? If not what wrrors do you see? What error do you get when you try to use DHCP?

    As a next resort, you might try watching the connection with ethereal (included with Knoppix) and seeing how far the DHCP handshake gets. That may give us some insight on the problem.

    3.6 should work. It's not clear to me what your problem with 3.8.1 was, although DMA was on by default with that release and not with 3.6. There were a number of bugs in 3.8 and we've come a way since then, you very well may want to give 4.0.2 a try.

    Tell us about the rest of your network as well as the make and model of router, this may assist us in giving you more things to try.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    I have a Dlink DI-604 router, I will boot into Knoppix and watch with ethereal. Should I be using any cheats codes or just boot normally.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    ethereal doesn't see eth0 and i tried the network setup, first i sais yes to use DHCP broadcast and it didnt work, then said no and entered all the info and it didnt work either.

  5. #5
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Since you have 2 network devices, one wireless, it's not clear to me which Knoppix is calling eth0 and which it's calling eth1 (assuming that it's calling one eth1). If the wireless nic is eth0 thns I'm not expecting it to work. You might have better luck with 4.0.2, but even then I don't know if a new version of Knoppix supports that interface. And in any case you would have to do some extra setup before you could get DHCP to work (can't talk wirelessly until you set up SSID, WEP and such). If you can determine where the wired NIC is and if it turns out to be on eth1 then that is the one I would suggest trying to get to work, at least for now and with that old version of Knoppix. See man netcardconfig in a shell for options that should help you use eth1. If it turns out that you can determine that the wired nic is eth0 then I'm not at all clear to me why DHCP would fail or why you couldn't manually set up the NIC with netcardconfig (I can). By the way, I've use Knoppix with a Dlink-604 and it worked fine (there are, of course, different firmware versions, but I doubt very much if that's the issue). I had asked about the rest of the network and also what errors you were getting, but you didn't respond. My thinking was that after a manual configuration you should be able to ping other members of the network (assuming that you don't have a firewall blocking this). It would be helpful to know if you are actually configuring the interface and for some reason the Dlink doesn't want to talk to you, or if no one wants to talk to you and it's not configured at all. Without knowing errors or network configuration I don't know what more I can say.

    What does ethereal see?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    ethereal says nothing, it doesnt see the network adapter. what other details do you need about the network? i can use my NIC in windows but not in linux.

  7. #7
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441

    Re: None of the network components work on my Dell Inspiron

    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon
    .... the broadcom network card is recognized but it isn't picking up the IP address from my router....
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonon
    ethereal says nothing, it doesnt see the network adapter.....
    I don't understand what is happening. You say the card is recognized, but then you say that ethereal doesn't see it. In my experience, ethereal will let you watch any network device that Knoppix detects, even if it doesn't have an IP address or other DHCP setup; I've debugged problems with a Belkin router in just this way. If ethereal really can't see it then I'm wondering why you say the broadcom network card is recognized and if we need to back up a bit. I don't know anything about that chipset but Knoppix is pretty good about recognizing 10/100 controlers. Perhaps you are hurting yourself by sticking with 3.6, which could be too old for this chipset.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Ok I downloaded Knoppix 4.0.2 and now my network card works, I am using it right now. I used ndiswrapper for my wireless card and everything worked and when I typed iwlist scan I could see the networks around my house. However, when I open Ethereal, it doesn't see ANY network device, not my NIC or wireless card. However, if I open Airsnort, it can see the interfaces (eth0 is my wireless card) I select eth0 and click scan and nothing happens, no errors or any data shown. I know that my wireless card has its own linux driver made available by a group and I researched it a bit and found that the command is apt-get ipw2200-source but it says it is not found. I find the websites instructions very difficult to follow so it would be nice just to use the built in apt-get feature.[/list]

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    120
    Also, when I couldn't find Kismet in the menu so I typed it in Run but nothing opened?

Similar Threads

  1. Battery status bug on Inspiron 6000
    By andybuonviri in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 04:14 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2009, 05:08 AM
  3. Partitioning Dell Inspiron 6000 for dual-boot
    By rangalo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2006, 09:17 AM
  4. Knoppix on Dell inspiron 6000
    By admart35 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-27-2005, 09:44 AM
  5. Dell Inspiron 2500
    By seani in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-10-2003, 05:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold picture

32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 - 288 pin DESKTOP Non ECC - Black/Gold

$121.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3 picture

32GB Micron PC4 – 3200AA DDR4 ECC Registered Server RAM - MTA36ASF4G72PZ-3G2J3

$200.00



Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory picture

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory

$189.00



SK hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM Module picture

SK hynix 16GB DDR4 2666MHz PC4-2666V SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM Module

$69.99



64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 (32x2 GB) Memory for laptop Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$260.00



64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.  picture

64 GB Ram (32x2) Memory for laptop: Samsung PC4 2Rx8 2666V.

$280.00