Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (3,2)

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1

    Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (3,2)

    I have just installed Knoppix 4.0 on to my HD. After the installation I get a Kernel Panic that I have no idea of why it is happening???? My settings for grub are:

    root (hd0,1)
    Kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro ### isk_size=100000 init =/etc initrd /boot/initrd.img
    savedefault

    boot

    I know that I have the right partition because it is hda2.

    can anyone help me?? Also just so you know I am a beginner with linux so be gentle and patient with me

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30

    Insufficent info

    Believe it or not, there is some missing info. What other partitions are in use, and for what? And, where did you put the bootloader?

    If you have another linux partition, at least at first, install boot loader in Knoppix partition, and go to main Linux distro and tell it to chainload.

    Something like this:

    root (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1

    Google for Grub manual version 0.97 and use their format, since most of us don't have that much experience.

    For example, ### means nothing to me, though it may be correct. Also, isk means nothing to me.

    And, it is normal to put

    initrd /boot/initrd on a different line.

    And, if Win is present, linux usually starts at hda5.

    At a terminal, df will give you some info on where you are, though it only includes mounted parttions, of course.But, do doublecheck it, since many problems are often very simple things, not the highly abstruse.

  3. #3
    I get exactly the same results. Since I cannot boot, I can't make any changes to Grub, or see what it is. Any other suggestions out there??

  4. #4
    I gave up using the "like CD" installation option and used the "debian like" (recommended) option and it seemed to boot just fine. I found that it was almost exactly like the CD version.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by oddfellow514
    I get exactly the same results. Since I cannot boot, I can't make any changes to Grub, or see what it is. Any other suggestions out there??
    I have the same problem, and this may help:

    Machine: Dell GX150, P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD, two NICs, latest BIOS

    It boots fine from the 4.0.2 CD, but get the same Kernel panic messsage after I install to the harddisk with the Recommended option. My HD configuration is: /dev/hda1 2GB swap; /dev/hda2 8GB /; /dev/hda3 9GB data -- /dev/hda2 correctly maps to hd(0,1) in the grub.conf file... However, /dev/hda2 shows up as being formated as ext3, reiserfs regardless of how qtparted formatted it -- I have explicitly formatted it to ext2, and it still gets autodetected as ext3 or reiserfs. Repartitioning to a single / partition, about 18GB does not help.

    In contrast, the prior version I tried 3.8.6 (?) works flawlessly, either from the CD or installed to the harddisk.

    Any ideas?

    krishna

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by oddfellow514
    I get exactly the same results. Since I cannot boot, I can't make any changes to Grub, or see what it is. Any other suggestions out there??
    I have the same problem, but have not found the fix yet -- this may help identify the cause:

    Machine: Dell GX150, P3 1GHz, 256MB RAM, 20 GB HD, two NICs, latest BIOS

    It boots fine from the 4.0.2 CD, but get the same Kernel panic messsage after I install to the harddisk with the Recommended option. My HD configuration is: /dev/hda1 2GB swap; /dev/hda2 8GB /; /dev/hda3 9GB data -- /dev/hda2 correctly maps to hd(0,1) in the grub.conf file... However, /dev/hda2 shows up as being formated as ext3, reiserfs regardless of how qtparted formatted it -- I have explicitly formatted it to ext2, and it still gets autodetected as ext3 or reiserfs. Repartitioning to a single / partition, about 18GB does not help.

    In contrast, the prior version I tried 3.8.6 (?) works flawlessly, either from the CD or installed to the harddisk.

    Any ideas? I am all out of ideas....

    krishna

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    By phillb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
  2. Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount block (1,3)
    By Chadsfunkin5 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 02:59 AM
  3. Kernel panic: Unable to mount root file system on block....
    By wquay in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM
  4. Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:02
    By helkyd in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 02:19 PM
  5. kernel panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 08:03
    By ventallo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 07:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00